Need to keep a gate locked for security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I manage an allotment site where one member (getting on a bit in years) insists on driving on another persons plot with his car.
What I urgently need to do somehow is stop one of the two gates to the site from opening.
The gate has a riser bar which goes into the ground thus holding the gate shut. Ideally I want to somehow fit a lock to this but cannot for the life of me come up with a solution.
I thought of drilling through the side of the gate but as the metal is 1/2" thick, this will take too long to do.
An alternative was to drill through the riser bar and fit a padlock through, which would stop the bar from being raised and hence stop the gate from opening. Again this would take too long.
I need a quick solution before he gets back from holiday and causes more havoc.

Sorry can't post a pic from documents for some reason.
Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
Either way, you need to prevent this bloke from lifting the riser bolt, so if you can't drill it, I guess you're going to have to fabricate a couple of bars of metal meccano style which, when bolted together above the bolt, will stop the lifting.
It shouldn't be too difficult to drill, surely?
John :)

I need a quick solution before he gets back from holiday and causes more havoc.
Have the plot in question dug over to a depth of 2ft, and the soil properly broken up, replaced and not compacted in the slightest.

They'll only drive on it once, and can't make any complaint since digging over a plot is hardly considered unusual on an allotment.

Sponsored Links
post a photo of the gate and bolt, both sides.

you could also fit a folding bollard, if you can dig a pit for its root, and chain it to the gate http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parking-B...100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35bf8906bc

even digging a drainage ditch round the perimeter might do.

I often tie my plants to pieces of scrap angle-iron and iron pipe, hammered into the ground, and I have a post-and-rail fence where the posts are concrete fence-spurs, and the rails pieces of 2x4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mild-Stee..._Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item43b2deb283

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
what you need is some sort of clamp round the pin to stop it lifting past a certain height, positioned under where the pin goes through the mounting plate or guide hole, if you padlock it he could still smash the padlock off, so a clamp that is bolted will be just as much a deterrant as he would need 2 spanners to loosen the bolt to allow the clamp to drop down, you need to measure the diameter of the pin and get something from B&Q etc with a bolt, look in the plumbing and electrical sections for something suitable

A 'bulldog' clip:-
WRE0701-thumb.jpg

(the ones used to clamp wire rope, not the paperclip)

or a shaft collar:-
Double_Split_-cat-2552-cat.jpg

fitted around the bolt below the gate to stop it lifting may do the job.

A small exhaust clamp, or a 'U' clamp, as used for fixing TV aerials etc. might also do the job.

A handful of nuts a size bigger than the clamp nuts (10mm if the threads on the clamp are 8mm) make useful spacers to put under the 'working' nuts to help close up the gap if the clamp is bigger than the bolt.

Another thought - A length of chain padlocked to the 'fixed' gate about halfway up, just long enough to lay on the ground, and anchored to the 'working' gate's post. Pedestrians can open one gate and walk over the chain laying on the ground, but opening the other gate pulls the chain tight, blocking the gateway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back