Need to lose back boiler but can't have a flue! Ideas opinions pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a 30 year old Baxi back boiler. It of course supplies HW and the CH, and is a (not very tasteful) livingroom fire.

My problem is I cannot install a more modern boiler because this is in a listed building and we have nowhere we would be allowed to have a flue sticking out the building.

I feel I should ask here for ideas incase I am missing anything but I'm seriously thinking of going all electric. It's actually a flat I rent out. Smallish one bedroom. Thinking of modern electric radiators but as yet unsure whether to keep bath. Thinking of electric shower only and small unvented heater for kitchen sink/bathroom sink. It's either that or big unvented cylinder and keep bath and have a mixer shower but just not sure how many tenants will be fussed about baths and having to heat a lot of water.

Be very pleased to have any general input/thoughs on what's best with this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
you get band A fire and back boilers but , if it is a listed building you would more than likely get an exemption certificate to replace your existing fire and BBU with another standard efficiency one, as you are in Edinburgh part L of the building regulations does not affect you so just get a new fire and BBU fitted if you need it.

You can also get an electric boiler that'll connect to you're existing tank/heating. Never fitted one but stayed in a cottage in keswick that had one.

You've got to calculate your usage costs between gaz n leccie (yes I've heard the adverts too :)) before making a decision!
Leccie being more £'s p/kw in general.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for replies. That's interesting Ian. I didn't realise there was such a thing at all nowadays to replace the old one. Only thing is I don't really have any time to apply prior to getting on with the change. I can of course consult Edinburgh council on it.

2 years ago I did away with storage heaters at another flat and installed a wet central heating system and UV cylinder. Seems to be a success but I don't pay the bills! However, this is in a nice warm well insulated double glazed flat. I am of the opinion the leccy boiler might be just acceptable in this situation because it isn't having to work so hard. It is nice having what seems like "normal" CH. This was a property with no gas supplies to the building.

One advantage I see in the modern electric radiators is the controlability. Won't be cheap to run but if using them as you need them you won't be wasting too much energy.

Still prefer the idea of gas though

There is a replacement Baxi BBU HE which fits in the fireplace behind a new electric firefront
http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/baxi-bermuda-high-efficiency-heat-only-back-boiler-unit/
http://www.cheapcentralheating.co.uk/boilers/new-baxi-bermuda-he/

Installation can be awkward as you will often have to convert the old pipework to fully pumped pressurised. You have to get to the top of the chimney to poke the liner down, and not many people install these boilers so you may find it difficult to find an installer familiar with them. You also have to find a route for the condensate drain.

All-Electric may be sensible - with an electric shower you can lose the hot water cylinder, which in a small flat usually takes up a useful cupboard. You might want to consider storage heaters or dimplex duoheat/quantum or creda equivalent, as in Scotland you have to give prospective tenants an EPC and peak-rate eletcric heaters won't score highly.

Does anywhere still stock Standard Efficiency boilers these days?, last one I fitted in a listed building (2 foot thick clay-lump/flint walls, 12" 300yr old Oak beams etc), with nowhere and I mean no-way to get a condensate fluid drain to, was two years ago, found a Vokera System boiler (SE) and magically found I had 1020 points only exemption ticket.

Is north of Hadrians Wall an area where these are still legal?, as I thought/assumed the ERP Regs superseded the old Part L

Thanks for the help and advice. I am also thinking install will not be easy and indeed nowhere for condensate to go. Not only not easy but looking costly too.

One of the difficulties renting is not being able to anticipate how much of a deal breaker a bath will be, or indeed even a good mixer shower v's an electric. Of course you can't please everyone (which you might with a nice new combi...).

I find myself leaning towards a decent electric shower and smaller unvented water heater. Electric radiators.

Re Dimplex duo heat. I could be wrong about this but it looks rather as though a good overall electric tariff pretty much equals off peak/peak. The peak rate being high. With no gas at all you have no standing charge which in itself is a help. Overall rate might be a bit more expensive but there's a lot to be said for just using as required.

Condensate can be pumped. If you've got access to the chimney a flue liner kit up to the roof with a terminal which will be nigh on invisible from the ground has to be worth considering doesn't it?

Many thanks for replies. That's interesting Ian. I didn't realise there was such a thing at all nowadays to replace the old one. Only thing is I don't really have any time to apply prior to getting on with the change. I can of course consult Edinburgh council on it.
you dont have to apply for an exemption certificate your boiler installer issues you with it, but as said Part L is not active in Scotland so you do not actually need it, your biggest problem is finding a standard efficiency fire and BBU but I am sure somewhere will still have one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back