Need to replace an Air Brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an air brick, but I am not able to find an air brick to fit.

The size of our bricks and the existing air bricks are 9in by 2 1/2 in, but the only air bricks I can find are 9in by 3in.

Does anyone know where I might find an air brick to fit?

Sponsored Links
That's exactly what I need, but I think £19 postage is a bit extreme.
Are these available any where else?

That's exactly what I need, but I think £19 postage is a bit extreme.
Just a bit!
Are these available any where else?
If you look they are actually 215x65mm which is a standard brick size. Not sure why that's called a 9"x3", as it's actually 8 1/2" x 2 1/2"...

You'll pick up what you need at any builder's merchants, or B&Q type place.
Take a tape measure and measure the air brick to make sure, but I gaurantee that's what you need.

Sponsored Links
Ronny,
It's called a 9x3 because the old size was 8 5/8 x 2 5/8 inches, but the joint sizes of 3/8 inch was added as with a 9 inch wall which was really 8 5/8 inches thick or a 4 1/2 inch wall which was 4 1/8.
In metric the joint sizes are not always included in the specs.

Went to screwfix today and got the air brick, slightly larger than 65mm but should be OK.

Have read on internet on how to replace the air brick, just have one concern. The air brick is just below the damp course, so I cant drill the mortar out above the existing air brick for fear of damaging the damp course.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

You would normally smash the airbrick at the holes and it all crumbles in on itself, and then chip the edge mortar away

If you want to drill, drill the sides and bottom joint and it will drop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back