Need your expertise/investigative skills re a vibration in building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I live in a first floor flat. I'm really struggling at the moment because for months now, the flat downstairs seems to have some sort of vibration coming up through my floor and shaking my bed.

At first I thought it was the tenants. I didn't meet them but they quickly moved, I thought the problem might go with them, but it's remained. I've now met the new tenant and she's lovely and I cannot imagine it's anything she's doing.

Here's the backstory. Before these two sets of tenants, i happily lived above an older lady who sadly passed away. There was never any vibration then. After she passed away I used to hear a 'click' sound in my floor just after midnight and then feel a gentle vibration (that I didn't mind) and I guessed it was the timer for the downstairs water heater.

However, there were builders in downstairs, but only to upgrade the place before the new tenants moved in. I didn't hear a lot of building work, but a little, over a matter of a few days. I didn't get the impression anything major in terms of structure was done.

However now I'm getting a vibration, always when the person is home, but on one occasion it seemed she wasn't home. I think it's her water heater, but it could be something else....water pipes? Or something got 'moved' when builders in?

Just wondered if anyone can help me work out what it is. Sadly the landlord is not responding to any communication from me, the tenant is happy to help me in any way she can but as yet I'm not sure what checks we can do between us and I don't want to hassle her as she's only been here a week. I will talk to her if I have something constructive to test out though.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks, appreciate your time in reading this.

Sponsored Links
As you seem to get on with the new tenant perhaps it would be easy to ask her if she has noticed any sort of vibrations?

Thanks for your thoughts Burnerman and LadyLola

It's not a washing machine. I'm almost 100% on that as I don't think any of the neighbours would do that, especially as I've put a note in all adjoining doors and everyone is pretty reasonable, also it lasts too long.

But yes it has a similar sound, although the sound doesn't bother me and I can't properly locate it. It sounds like something under pressure and struggling...then at other times its as if there's just loads of 'currents' running through the floor and particularly my bed.

My mind is mainly considering water, water pipes, some kind of heating system, water heating, none of the flats have gas, only electric.

The only other thing I'm wondering about is if there's something structural going on with the building following any work done down there. This morning I was woken as 5am by what seemed like my downstairs neighbour just walking across her floor. It's like my floor has turned to jelly or something and all movements are felt, but this never happened before the original tenant left and before the builders came in.

Surely the new tenants aren't all heavy footed, they have all been more slight in build than the original tenant that was there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
LadyLola, sorry I didn't answer your question, I've spoken to the new tenant and she's really nice and happy to look out for any problems but no, she's not feeling anything coming from her water heater. However upstairs in my flat the vibration sometimes seems to come from the direction of her water heater (and mine is permanently off at the moment, I use the immersion in the mornings as I want to be sure it's not mine and ruling it out).

I haven't asked her to turn on the water heater and see what happens in my flat as I think (if it is the heater), it happens at certain times, when it wants to do it, not necessarily when it's switched on. In fact it was switched on when I visited her, so if it's that, it's not doing it all the time.

Maybe one of the forums plumbing experts could offer advice , it's not really my area but it sounds like some kind of airlock.

Maybe one of the forums plumbing experts could offer advice , it's not really my area but it sounds like some kind of airlock.

Thanks, to me the most obvious thing might be a plumbing issue. I'll see if a plumber can advise tomorrow.

Can you desribe the vibration, fequency and magnitude. Is it a hum or visible movment ? How does it affect the surface of a glass of water. Ripples or waves ?

Is it a constant hum or variable?
Constant at 50Hz would indicate some kind of electrical device with a transformer. Variable could indicate a TV mounted to the wall.

A redundant and creaky Off Peak electricity meter that was still connected to supply via a time switch might be the culprit.

Sponsored Links
Back