Neff Built in Ovens and wiring requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My current, 13amp molded plug oven is coming to the end of its life and requires replacing so i had decided to go for a Neff or Bosch. This currently connects to the 13amp ring main (been this way for 12 years at least)

I have perhaps nievely thought all Built-ins were 13amp but realise this is now incorrect.

Currys website has a few 13amp Neffs, some 16amp some hard wired and many with no requirements. Some of the filtered results for 13amp state actually state 16 amp when looking at the Specification page.

Neff finally provided me 3 model refs which were 13amp although their website does not provide this info. These 3 model refs are differant to the Currys results. Neff website says their ovens are all 2.89KW from summer 2016.

I went instore to Currys and the guy said no Neffs or Bosch are 13amp, all require hardwiring and said only ones that were 13amp were SMEG and 2 others.

I told him the above and queried Neffs claim of all their ovens being 2.89KW from summer 2016 and he agreed, saying under 3k would be ok for 13amps but Neff and Bosch do not come with a cable and reiterated his earlier claim.

With so much conflicting information i am very confused. i dont want to spend £500-£800 on a gamble of an oven i cant use. i am awaiting an electrician to advise me on how much to change my main fuse unit as there is no spare capacity for a seperate 30amp circuit.

What are your experiences in installing Neffs or Bosch? Which ones in your experience can have a 13amp plug? Hard to trust anything at the moment and going around in circles.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ideally the manufacturer's instruction, should indicated the output of the appliance. But if the maximum demand of the oven is 16A, then diversity could be factored in then would allow for the supply current to be reduced.

Normally electrical installs do have a circuit dedicated to the cooking appliances (hob/oven or cooker).
So it is surprising one is not present, are you sure the socket outlet is part of a socket circuit, it could have well been, that the cooker outlet plate was swapped sometime in the past for a socket, as the oven being fitted required one.
But you do not need a new fuse board, a separate circuit can still be added without changing the board.

shop assistants are not electricians or appliance designers so cannot be relied on. Neither can the Currys website. The maker should have the correct information.

Usually a single oven will work on a plug, but not a double oven, nor an oven with a separate grill compartment.

Have you got a gas hob, and no electrical "cooker circuit" with a big switch and outlet?

Hi

so would a 2.89KW oven be ok for a 13amp plug? Its the Neff product brochure from the Neff website that says their products will be 2.89KW from summer 2016. Some of the Neffs on Currys that have no fuse rating state they are 2.89KW.

Yes i have a gas hob plugged into a 2 gang, the over is currently plugged into the other.

My fuse unit is pretty small (attached)

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3566.JPG
    IMG_3566.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 811
Sponsored Links
An appliance of less than 3kW can be fed from a plug and socket, but it is good practice to supply a large fixed appliance such as an oven from a dedicated circuit.

Hi

Thanks for the help and advice so far.

As i will buy an oven on Black Friday, is the final thought that;

Any Oven under 3KW may have a regular domestic 13amp plug AND that although Best Practice to be on a separate power ring to other sockets, it would not be anymore dangerous than a heater or kettle of same wattage on same ring (as has been for over 12years.

My electrician neighbour did not call round yesterday so will try him again about upgrading my rings as another project.

Thank you Oracles

Looks to me (by pic provided) that there is room for a spare way to be used as a dedicated cooker circuit! Once the black tape has been removed!!!

Last edited:
From Neff website :- http://www.neff.co.uk/product-showroom/ovens/single-ovens/B44M42N5GB.html?source=browse

See the example overview :-

'SINGLE OVEN STAINLESS STEEL
Built-in oven with CircoTherm® - Neff's award-winning hot air system

PERFORMANCE/TECHNICAL INFORMATION-
  • 67 litre capacity
  • Energy efficiency rating A
  • Total connected load 2.9 KW
  • Min. fuse protection: 13 A
  • Energy efficiency rating (acc. EU Nr. 65/2014):
    Energy consumption per cycle in fan-forced convection mode: 0.84 kwh
    Number of cavities: 1
    Heat source: electrical
    Cavity volume: 66 litre'
-----------------------------------------

Had our Neff circo-therm single oven installed as part of new kitchen in late 1994.
Still running, everything working. Plug top and prongs in pristine condition no hint of burning or discolouration.
Running off 32 amp ring.
I think the 16 amp refers to the minimum circuit capability, not the outlet itself, certainly not a 6 amp circuit (n)

-0-

Hi

Out of caution i had a new dedicated ring main put in as its sensible practice anyway.

It resulted in having to replace some skirting boxing and patching some new wall holes where the cable was routed.

It was all good in the end and done same day as oven arrival so minimal fuss

Dead happy with new oven

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back