Neff oven fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has asked me about a fault on her ( 20 year old ) Neff Oven.
It switches on OK and then after about 60 seconds or so it trips the rcd at the consumer unit.
The odd thing ( to me anyway) is how consistent the time is. It always switches on and always trips after a very short period of heating.
Does this symptom point to any particular line of investigation? Is that, for example, how oven elements fail?

Sponsored Links
You'll probably be best doing an insulation resistance test on the elements.

I would guess ( I don't know about this oven specifically) that it doesn't actually apply power to the element immediately, hence you're seeing the delay

So it sounds as if the elements are faulty.
Maybe just renewing the elements would be best practice?

Neff are very good but 20 years is a long life for even a Neff oven. Some will last longer.

If it is a Circo therm where the fan blows air over a circular element behind the back wall of the oven and the circular element has failed then check the fan is rotating freely. If the fan is running slow the element over heats,

Sponsored Links
How can an element overheat?

Surely the fan is to move the heated air, not to cool the element.

I suppose if the thermostat is elsewhere in the oven cavity, and the fan isn't running, the element itself could get hotter and hotter - possibly beyond it's design parameters?

It's not that the fan is there to cool the element, but it is certainly there to move the heat from within the little fan/element compartment and into the main part of the oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back