Neighbours flue terminates in to my garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've searched through the forum and found lots of useful half answers and a few suggestions...

We bought the house about 9months ago, we've had a builder friend round recently as we were looking at options of extensions etc, when he saw the flue he laughed and said that shouldn't be there but couldn't offer much more advice at the time.
The next door neighbour had the extension done about 6-8yrs ago according to another neighbour.

Should their flue terminate there?

Is there anything I can do legally as this may hinder our plans for expansion??

All this is based on the neighbour not being amicable about the situation but he might well be. I'd like to go and have an informed discussion with him rather then me not having a clue.

One pic is from my kitchen window looking at the flue and the other is showing the back of my garage with flue and over fill?? copper pipe.

The drain pipe is something to bring up another day.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a Suprima flue from the pics so the boiler is older than 6 years... But that's not to say it wasn't relocated, but that would still be against the regs.

No, the flue shouldn't be there. It's technically trespass, will be interesting to see your progress, so keep us posted.

You will need to talk to planning who will hopefully place a remedial works order on them.

Might sour relations though.

Is there a flat roof above it?

Scrap that I can see the pitch roof and besides it will be too close to the boundary for the clearance requirements so your neighbour is screwed.

Sponsored Links
Yeah it's a flat roof, just has a small up turn near our side.

He's currently renovating to sell so would like to get it sorted before upsetting the new neighbours?

When you say speak to planning?, what kind of department am I looking for??

Your neighbour isn't screwed at all ,, will be a verrrrerry long process to get that flue sorted

I'm just wondering how the hell did he manage to get permission to build right up to the boundary!

trespass is not a planning or building regs issue
they can only say that the structure in that location conforms
who owns what is irrelivant to there remit

Dan and op, if you look at the overhang of the soffit u might find he has whats called a flying freehold, ie the land from the edge of the soffit down is his? I have done a couple an perfectly legal . Check with planning

No Stadan... steam from my Intergas fed bath is affecting the screen.

OP wants to build an extension. No passage between boundaries and op has otherwise every right to build up to the neighbouring wall.

Neighbour has illegal flue terminal trespassing on his land.

Do please explain how things will proceed.

Dan and op, if you look at the overhang of the soffit u might find he has whats called a flying freehold, ie the land from the edge of the soffit down is his? I have done a couple an perfectly legal . Check with planning

In my experience there's usually a shared passageway in flying freehold.

Yea dan but gas safe have approved 2 i did, one had an external vertical flue that ran up the wall and through the soffitt at high level, the other had a plume kit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back