Nest Thermostat and Gravity Fed System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help?

I had a Hive system running my Heating and Hot Water, just been given a Nest and thought I would give it a try. I have an old system which is Gravity Fed and with the Hive I simply held a button down and it went into 'Gravity Mode'. Don't seem to have that with Nest unless I have missed something?

Nest is fitted but doesn't switch my boiler on when the central heating is called but does seem to power up the pump. When Hot Water is called the boiler fires up but as expected the CH does not come on.

I seem to have a very basic system with L, N and HW ON and CH ON only. I have checked various diagrams and jset up as instructed, jumping the N to 2 and 5 on the Nest Heatlink.

Does anybody have any ideas? I'm missing that Hive now.

Sponsored Links
The Hive is designed for Gravity systems and can be configured in the settings for such. The Nest isn't, so a bit of jiggery pokery with the wiring is required, as per Ziggy Zero's drawing, but it has been done many times.

The connections might not be what you would expect. Connecting the Nest hot water 'common' terminal to the boiler for example. But it does work. There's a thread here, with confirmation from the OP if you want an example, and can be bothered to trawl through to the end.

The drawing below might be a bit clearer for you to follow. You don't have to connect the Nest Thermostat to the Heatlink [T1 & T2] and can use a plug in power supply instead if preferred.

Nest with Gravity Fed System.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back