Netaheat + Honeywell ST7100 programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a Potterton Netaheat boiler with a Honeywell ST7100. Whenever the hot water is programmed to come on, we just hear a loud vibrating noise (we can't tell where it's coming from, but it's not the motor) and the pilot light doesn't go on. The central heating works fine. Our gas engineer is going to try and change the programmer first as a process of elimination, but we wondered if anyone has any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Well, the programmer is just a switch which could be elimated just by pairing wires! Noise is usually mechanical so I'd be looking at valves!

Our gas engineer is going to try and change the programmer first as a process of elimination, but we wondered if anyone has any ideas what it could be? Thanks in advance.
All the electrical controls on a heating system can be proven working/faulty without replacing them. Replacing things willy nilly is soon going to get expensive.

Assuming you have a Y plan heating system with a 3 port mid position valve, the valve does very little in HW only mode. It needs no power to provide only HW as the internal spring pulls the valve to HW only when no power is provided to the motor. The switch inside the valve actuator is not needed to fire the boiler and pump, the cylinder stat does this directly.

If the vibrating noise is coming from the programmer it is likely faulty. When did you last replace the batteries in it? They may have leaked all over the circuit board and ruined it.

You can bypass the programmer by:
Powering off the heating system at the mains isolator or fuse board.
Remove the programmer from the base, by loosening the securing screw on the top, and tilting the top of the programmer away from the wall then lift up and off. This will also allow you to access the batteries.
Remove the safety cover over the wiring by turning the screws 90°.
Mark the wire in terminal number 8 with tape or similar so you don't forget what wire goes where.
Put this wire into terminal 6 (along with any wires already in there).
Refit the safety cover and then power up the system with the programmer NOT fitted to the base.

If the hot water now comes on fine, you need a new programmer. If it still isn't working the fault is elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
I've no idea if it's a y plan (don't know what this is). The gas engineer has already removed the programmer fascia. I don't think it is battery operated. He fitted another circuit board (I think, at least he mentioned pcb) to test it and refitted the programmer, but that just made the display on the programmer completely blank.

Sounds like your engineer's mind is fairly blank if he's trying to cure vibrations by replacing electrical components, and it also sounds like he's bu99ered your programmer... it'll be something mechanical - the pump would be a good place to start. Probably looks like this
UPS%2015%2050.jpg

See if you can find it. If you can, turn the hot water on, wait for the noise to start, then move the lever on the black panel on the side to a different position. Does the noise change?

He refitted the original circuit board and the programmer's display came back on. Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll have a look tomorrow...

Bizarre, I'm not aware of anyone who replaces PCBs in programmers. :confused: The batteries in this programmer are for memory backup and can leak onto the PCB. But reading through the post again it is very unlikely to be the problem.

Some photos would probably help.

As the heating is working and the boiler doesn't fire when HW is selected, it is likely you have an S Plan system (with 2 motorised valves) and the valve actuator for HW is bust.

If your system is 'S' plan, you will have two of these, one for heating and one for hot water, located near your hot water cylinder.

image.jpeg

If it's 'Y' plan, you will have one of these, for both HW and CH, again usually in airing cupboard near hot water cylinder.

image.jpeg

Check these for faults - burnt out head, fitted wrong way round or seized up!

Thanks again for everyone's advice. It's much appreciated.

The boiler is at my parents' house. I've just been round there now to check the things people have suggested and take a few photos...

The boiler control hasn't been reconnected as I thought (please see photo), so I am unable to check if the central heating still works. It's been off for a couple of months (we turned if off), but worked fine.

The vibrating noise definitely seems to be coming from the programmer.

The pump is the same as the photo muggles posted. I moved the lever to the three different positions (it was in the middle position), but the noise remained the same. I don't know how reliable a check this is at the moment though with the boiler control being detached!

I've probably got the terminology wrong, but the gas engineer mentioned pcb a few times. To be fair, he said he's never heard a boiler make this noise before, so he's being honest about not really knowing what it is. Like Echo the husky said though, we don't want to be replacing parts as it could get expensive (especially because my parents are hoping to move soon). The last expense they need is a new boiler! I just want to ensure it's safe for them.

I can only see one Sundial Y plan (please see photo) which is situated above the motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 289
Pity you didn't video with sound while you were there... This is intriguing! If you took the head off of the mid port valve and manually operated it, you could see if it was sticking!

Seems to be coming from the programmer. The display is now blank. I've tried to upload a video, but it says it doesn't have an allowed extension. It's a .mov

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back