Netgear wireless networking woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help me - before someone gets hurt (i.e. me)

I have a Netgear DG834G Adsl wireless router, AOL Broadband (yes I know) and a 3-4 year old Compaq Presario PC rocking Windows XP. It runs alright, internet speed is fast enough for me. My connection at the moment is all wires. A long internet wire thing runs out of my dining room where the PC is, up the hallway to near the front door where the phone socket is (about 20ft away). There is one of them filters in the phone socket, like.

There is a power supply near the socket to plug the router in. I have sorted this out so it looks tidy so we are all ready to go ostensibly.

I have bought a Netgear WG311 54MB wireless network PCI card/adapter, and have installed this. The problem is the router didn't come with an installation CD and I have no idea what the hell to do next.

There is an installation guide for this particular model on AOL itself, but I am presuming I need to do something to get it working first.

Few questions as well including this really stupid one - does the router need to be physically connected to my PC with an ethernet cable before the PC will recognise it? I envision that we will just end up with a massive ethernet lead running through the house, instead of the white one we have currently LOL

And how can I install the router on my PC, what do I do - please help me I am a total idiot at computers. Oh and I couldn't find any other guides online that were useful, hence me bombing all the forums I frequent to see if anyone else can help!

Oh, and once this is finally done, (as an aside) can I get online with my XBOX360 without wires? My 360 is in another part of the house but on the same floor and it would be conceivable to run a lead to where the router is if I need to.

And I am presuming my DS, PSP and Wii will recognise the wireless mutha?

It is as though I can almost touch online gaming again, I am so close, and seem to have all the gear - but need that bit of help to finalise it.

No posts about me changing my ISP either ;)

Sponsored Links
You don't need any software to setup the router.

One question though. How are you currently connecting to the Internet if not using the router? (just curious).

If the router is in it's default state, you should be able to achieve a wireless connection, although it's best to set it up with a wire. It doesn't need to be connected to the Internet at this stage, so you could simply move it closer to the PC and use an ethernet patch cable (supplied with the router) to connect it to the PC.

To configure the router, you use a web browser such as Internet Explorer. Open IE and type 192.168.0.1 (if in default state) and click go. It should ask you for a username and password. The defaults are admin and password respectively. You should then be presented with the router home page. Click on basic settings on the right or use the wizard. You need to enter your AOL account details into the usename & password boxes and set the protocol to PPPoA. That's the basic connection established.

A manual for the router can be found here.

If you get that far, post back and one of us will help you setup the wireless bit, although there are plenty of resources to be found on Google and by searching this forum.

I have a similar set up to you with the laptop, router and AOHell, if you need help just shout. Are you using the router to connect at the moment? It might be an idea to get shot of the AOL software until you have sorted the connections out letting windows or the netgear software look after the connection, do you have a small green screen in the taskbar?
Sorry, haven't got the foggiest on the XBOX but shouldn't be over difficult once you have your settings sorted.

Sponsored Links
Back