Neutral earth fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just moved into our house a couple of months ago. Today, I found the ring main circuit had been wired to the consumer unit with the rcd not used. Alarm bells rang. I wired in the rcd and it trips instantly. I've found a dead short neutral to earth (corrs disconnected in consumer unit). I then started going round the house trying to narrow down the fault. I've got it between 3 sockets -2 sockets in 1 bedroom, 1 socket in a neighbouring bedroom..

Room 1

Socket 1
--------------wall----------------------
Socket 2

Room 2

Socket 3
----------------------------------------

So, I'm expecting a common fault on the cable run SOMEWHERE. Socket 1 feeds 2 and 2 feeds 3. I've disconnect ALL cores in all 3 sockets. Before I start ripping up floorboards looking for a stray nail or fried rat, does everything sound right what I've found?? Any tips??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you not find between which TWO sockets the fault is?

That is with all cables at the three sockets disconnected, one cable at two of the sockets would show the fault.
You may then be able to determine where the cable runs.

It appears to be spanning all 3 sockets, I've disconnected all cores, proven which feeds which socket, and it's as though 2 lengths of cable running alongside each other, are faulty??

Does that sound likely?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, not likely but as that is what you have found the odds don't matter.

Have all three sockets just two cables in them?

Socket 1 and 2 have 2 cables. I've eliminated 1 cable in socket 1. Socket 3 has 3 cables in it (ring + spur?), and I've eliminated 2 of those. I've proven each faulty cable from socket 1 and 3 goes to socket 2. I've inspected socket 2 closely and can see no damage on incoming cables...how closely do cables get run together? It's a 1974 house, I'm guessing the cable would run along the wall under floorboards to the passageway in and out of bedrooms ?? Or is it anyone's guess!?!?

Not usually that close if you are thinking one screw through two cables but nothing is impossible.

Another famous secure drawing...

If I have it right in my mind's eye, it looks a bit like this:

If so, why cant you split the legs between sockets 1 and 3 to narrow down the fault?

struggling to put an image in - drawing almost right but socket 2 is at the opposite end of the room, so socket 1 would loop into that room, down the wall to socket 2, and socket 2 return leg then runs back down the wall and loops to socket 3 in the same room - its where both cables run along the wall that Im guessing has a fault?

I've had all cores disconnected in all 3 sockets but 2 legs are showing the same fault - its surprised me as I thought id found it when i got it between socket 1 and 2, but then i found 3 down with all wires disconnected!

Does that make sense?

Thanks[/img]

Magic!! Thanks.

So I'm guessing the cables must run in close proximity to and from socket 2 and both have some damage???

I started off in consumer unit, disconnecting cores on circuit and it was flat down neutral to earth, that's when I started hunting round splitting sockets. I'm just surprised it's affecting 3.sockets with all cores disconnected, that why I'm guessing it must be a couple of cables running alongside one another??

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back