Neutral is Live, nothing works, help!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently brought a house that I am doing up. In the process, I managed to get a shed load of water into the fusebox!! I disconnected the electric shower and forgot to cap the water pipe. The water then ran down the wall and straight into the CU. This made the RCD trip and the whole house was without electrics for apprx 2 days. I took all the wet MCBs out, dried them and reconnected, but no joy. I then disconnected the RCD, dried, but still no joy. Eventually 2 days later, the lights started working on their own and then the sockets started working. I think half the reason was because the RCD was not sitting on the botton bar correctly. Now I have found that the Neutral end of the RCD is Live. Please could someone help to let me know what I need to do to rectify get the electrics in the house sorted!!!

Sponsored Links
You need a competant, qualified electrician urgently before the installation is reconnected. Do not switch it on until it has been checked. There is very little we can do from here. As a minimum I would expect new parts or whole unit which will involve comprehensive testing and checking.

It sounds like the neutral is open circuit, either the box terminal on the RCD has 'missed' the connecting links, or the RCD itself is U/S due to damage.

If RCDs/MCBs had suffererd water running inside (as opposed to just a few splashed on the outside) then I'd replace them!, you don't know what its done to the sides!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back