New back door frame needs finishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

New to the site. Have used before to find some neat solutions and wondered if anyone could offer some pointers.

We had a new back door, including frame fitted by a family friend who is a carpenter (for a fee of course). I have a couple of issues that I'd like to resolve. Have spent all my budget now, so need to solve the issues myself. I've attached photos.

1: Gap between the new frame and the brickwork. I assume its a fairly common problem, but there isn't much I could see via online searches. The frame is vertical, but the wall is not. It sticks out by a few cm at the bottom and the opposite at the top. There is an almost 1cm gap around much of the frame, which has been filled with expanding foam. How do I make this look good. Should I use cement/mortar? Should I use some architraving? What sort of wood should I use and how do I make it suitable for outside?

2: The hinges face out. I'm a little concerned this may be a security risk. Is this true? How could I remedy the issue. The door opens outwards.

WP_20151010_007.jpg
WP_20151010_008.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Cannot your 'family friend who is a carpenter' finish the job?
Has he used shims to fit it tight or is he (are you) just relying on the foam?

As an electrician, I would say he should have used silicon.

You could try the building/carpentry forum. :)

Cor, what an eyesore!

Surely the frame should have been made to better fit the contours at the top?

And used frame sealant (available in various colours) to seal between the frame and the masonry, after trimming back the cured foam.

As for the hinges, if it is an external door made to recent standards, it may well have security pins on the hinge side that locate into the frame, preventing the door from being removed.

Silicone would be impossible to be done neatly here imo.

Cement would be the neatest solution but its going to be quite thin in places which may cause it to crack in future and could cause water ingress problems.
Working on the head first then the 2 sides separately what I would do is dig the foam out 15-20mm deep and remove any loose cement nearby,
Fill the back of the 15-20mm gap with clear silicone approx 5mm deep to water proof and then cement while the silicone is still wet to bond it a bit.

I would add a bit of PVA to the cement mix and masking tape some straight neat lines around the edge of the door frame 1st.
One cemented and gone a little hard use a soft brush to shape the cement into the surrounding cement then remove the masking tape.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back