New Bath & Taps filling slowly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just had a full new bathroom installed and the new bath takes ages to fill up.
It is a freestanding bath with a Mayfair Dream Freestanding Bath Tap.
We have a megaflo heating system so all water should be pressurised.
Measured the flow rate this morning at 7 ltr per minute. We have another bath on same floor and this is coming out at 20 ltr per minute.
Bathroom fitter says its the product. Tap manufacturer says it might be a faulty cartridge and is sending a new one but to me it feels like all the new equipment (shower and sink too) is a little bit less powerful than it was previously. Could it be down to fitter using smaller pipes?
thanks

Sponsored Links
If your installer has used flexi hoses rather than copper pipe that will cause a restriction, as will small-bore isolation valves. There may be flow restrictors inside the tap as well, although I'd have thought the manufacturer would have mentioned this if there were

It is normal to use 15 mm tube to supply taps from an unvented cylinder.

Since the supply pressure at the cylinder should be about 3 bar then that should still give a good flow rate of 10 + li/min.

A photo of the pipework and connections to the taps would be interesting to see.

Odd the problem applies to both basin and bath!

I always use full bore valves and isolation valves to obtain the maximum possible flow rate.

Tony

Waterfall taps aren't great for high flow rates though as I think they are restricted down to avoid squirting water across the room.

Sponsored Links
The pipes were not copper - they looked like plastic? It's all covered up now with floor/wall tiles. Manufacturer said there are no restrictors and I should be getting around 14 ptrs per minute, so twice what I'm getting at the moment.

But what size plastic?

I cannot think why anyone might use 10 mm instead of 15 mm but sometimes people do strange things!

Tony

I can see the plastic pipes that are connected to the control box for the digital shower and these are 15mm. I Guess that it is the same for the rest of them...?

Last edited:
Its general practice to use 15mm ,especially if he's fitting a bathroom with a existing megaflow, as the heating fitters should off took 22mm as far as they could off anyway.

Most taps and mixer showers arnt like they used to be. They all tend to be very restrictive. its a right pain.
We just spent hours of wasted time due to a shower that was found to be very restrictive and caused us lots of time and money to sort out.

The fitters probally done a great job but if the taps are poor in the way of flow rate then every bit of pipework / flexys and isolation valves matter, as in LARGER better!!!

For instance the 15mm isolation valves look fine but look at the size of their "bore"!(inside) They are dramatically reduced compared to the size of the fitting itself.

But with a megaflow as long as pipework to the unit is 22mm and decent pressure he wouldnt of suspected any problems later on!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back