New bath taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here so please be gentle with me. :)

I'm stuck with a problem and wonder if someone can offer advice please?

We recently bought a new topaz bath/shower mixer from bee and queue to replace our old ideal standard one which was dripping a bit. This was a big mistake!

Our water flow into the bath now is pathetic. With the old taps we could half fill the bath in about 5 mins', now it takes about 20 mins to quarter fill it. These new taps are the quarter turn types and although the fittings were the same the output is hopeless.

If I want taps that will give the same output as before, what must we buy? I can't afford to make this mistake again.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Tom.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a low pressure system? i.e. an airing cupboard with a cylinder in it and tanks of water in the loft?

If so then you need taps suitable for a low pressure system.

You may have purchased taps for a high pressure system (combi/unvented etc.)

Hi, thanks for that.

Yes we have an airing cupboard and a tank in the loft. As a novice I didn't know there was a difference. The old taps were the type that just turn and turn.

Do I need to ask for taps for a low pressure system? There is no info on the box to warn the unwary.

It should say on the box - suitable for 0.1 bar and above sort of thing. Foreign cheap rubbish may not advise this.

Measure the height from your tap to the bottom of your tank of water in the loft. For every 1 metre you have 0.1 bar of pressure. So if height is 5m then you have 5X0.1 = 0.5 BAR.

Modern combi boilers run at 1 bar to 2 bar (typically 1.5 bar) and this is "high" pressure. Taps designed for this are no good for you.

Bought some taps this morning - they say suitable for 0.1 bar and above.

Sponsored Links
Modern combi boilers run at 1 bar to 2 bar (typically 1.5 bar) and this is "high" pressure. Taps designed for this are no good for you.

Your not getting your system pressure mixed with mains water pressure are you ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back