New bathroom - keeping costs down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom is 3x3m and has bath with electric shower over, toilet, sink + radiator. Every wall is tiled from bottom to top.

It does require an entire re-fit so a complete gutting and then starting over again.

I'm not great with DIY but to save costs I plan to:

- remove all the tiles myself (i'm expecting to need to have it re-plastered)
- get a professional company in to plumb in bath, toilet, sink and shower

Also I plan to re-tile myself... but only the area around the shower and bath, plus a few tiles above the sink.

Just wondering if anyone has experience in this area? I've never had a bathroom re-fit before, so not sure what to expect.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My best tip for you would be to get a professional to do the retiling. It may look simple to do but, but trust me, there is an art to doing it right. I have seen some shocking diy tiling jobs in my time!

I've been doing my first bathroom recently but have done a little tiling before. It's not particularly easy but if you work slowly and methodically it's not impossible to learn. Not sure what the state of the walls are under the tiles? Although you needn't necessarily plaster if they're not that bad. It's good to plan ahead where all of the tile cuts will be in advance so you don't end up with tiny slithers in places that look terrible. It's also good to focus on getting every tile as best as you possible can so that it sits straight and level with the tiles surrounding it and make sure the spacers are in between true and square. If you want to go for it, get a straight wood baton fixed level across the wall and have a go but if you aren't confident how much will this save you and will you regret it if it looks a bit rubbish?

I think I made a few mistakes with my tiling, patterns and gaps but overall looks reasonable. I also should've used aquapanel rather than plasterboard but didn't know it existed until it was too late.

With all of the plumbing stuff it can look very easy but then become a nightmare quickly if you don't have any experience so probably best to leave that area.

Sponsored Links
Looks like you are making a good job of your bathroom and glad to see that you have left the gap around the bath for masticking rather than filling with grout.

If your question is how to keep costs down... Go for a simple bathroom suite with no fancy bits, avoid back to wall toilets.

I'm not great with DIY but to save costs I plan to:
- remove all the tiles myself (i'm expecting to need to have it re-plastered)
To save costs, leave all the old tiles where they are, board over the top with either plasterboard or a cement board for the shower area, tile where required and have the rest skimmed.
This will be vastly quicker than removing all the old tiles, you won't have to pay for a large skip to dispose of them, and the plastering will be substantially less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back