New boiler for vented system

When the RGI was out he said that the condense tray was corroded (as with all Energysaver boilers) and that the electrode was looking lkike it had seen better days. I'm prepared to bet it is one or the other.

He also added that we should never spend more than £100 on a repair because its days were basically numbered.

The electrode is a noddy job to do (the RGI showed me how) so I'll have a shot at it myself. But the condense tray issue would mean it is time to replace the boiler (hence looking at my options).

Out of curiosity, are there any other common causes for explosive ignition (thanks for giving me the term)?

Cheers for the advice,

iep

Sponsored Links
I went for the Viessmann Vitodens 100 Compact (not a combi) because it has very few internal parts so in my view less to go wrong. I like the stainless steel exchanger and the long guarantee. It is also small and quiet. Very important to get it installed by a trained installer who has done this model before.

Mine used about 25% less gas than the old iron boiler in the last 12 months, despite the abnormally cold winter.

dont want to start an augment but by its very nature(round spring like) the viessmann hx will more likely be air lock...so much so that they had to add an extra component (flow switch) to make sure the boiler does not fire while air locked.

dont get me wrong viessmann boiler are good boilers but its hx does have that one draw back...

btw iep since all intergas boilers can be used in open vented systems (there hx are uniquely suited for it) I would get the system boiler version and save your self getting a new pump and makes the wiring much easier.

opentherm is a way for a room thermostat and boiler to talk to each other. it makes the system more efficient and help save you money.
Honeywell give you a little info with a graphs that may help
http://media.plumbtraders.co.uk/uploads/files/2009/08/11/Honeywell-DT90.pdf

I use a opentherm room stat called an isense that will work with intergas boilershttp://www.uk.remeha.com/fileadmin/...Site_UK/Oct_folders/Remeha_iSense_Leaflet.pdf

• Thanks
Reactions: iep
dont want to come across as anti viessmann, I am an approved viessmann installer and have fitted many viessmann boilers...just like intergas more :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The HRE 18 SB is very small for a system boiler and is one of the few I have seen that will fit in the space that our current boiler occupies. Thanks for the tip.

The one advantage of a non-system boiler though is that it is easier to access the pump etc should it go wrong. Given that a new Grundfos is only about £60 I might still be inclined to go for the basic boiler and take the hit on the wiring complexity (I'm an electrical engineer by trade so don't mind a bit of wiring).

Thanks for all the info.

iep

when I phoned remeha about 3 months ago was told that they did not sell the wireless version due to that base station being to expensive and bulky.

it was in the process of getting redesigned

but from what I understand it should be functionally the same but I am not 100% sure

also the weather comp works well but you need to get the setting right or you end up cold or too hot

I've been looking at the intergas boilers look good and should be reliable.

someone on ebay selling them at the moment.

but intergas does have fewer parts over all and one fewer moving part(no flow switch for air locks in intergas)

Viessmann HEs have a problem getting airl ocked?

All I can say is that I have never had any problem with any that I have repaired or installed. But I am careful to properly fill them in a way to drive air out.

In fact, as a single turn, I am more confident that I have got all the air out than on the other multiturn types.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back