new Boiler on old pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi m8s

I am having a new Gas boiler fitted to replace my old Parkray Classic solid fuel fire.

The best quote, and also the installers from the fireplace shop where I bought my new Limestone fire place to replace the existing Parkray, said that they would connect to my old piework but still fit all new rads and that there should be no trouble with the old joints. The original system was installed in 1976.

Is this good practice or should I go for new pipes all round?

The obvious advantage to the former is that some of the pipe runs are now under fitted wardrobes etc and there would have to be sever furniture shifting to install new.

Regards
Tekinew

Sponsored Links
As long as the old pipe work is fully flushed and cleansed it should be ok. It will also need to have been installed to the correct sizes.

There is a slight risk that upon flushing and cleaning a leak could appear at a hidden joint. You will not know this until afterwards, but as long as they are prepared to fix any leaks then you will be ok. This would be extra to your quote though ;)

Thanks for the reply Dave, we talked about the flushing of the system etc. so all seems to be in order. Fingers crossed :p

Sponsored Links
I fitted a new CH system . All new pipe work but kept the radiators. I had them flushed and also fitted a Magnaclean filter. This is still picking up foreign particles(I am being polite).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back