New boiler or parts? Am i being ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently been told that my boiler is blocked and quoted for a new boiler. I felt the plumber was trying to rip me off and after some advice. I called out as I am getting hot water but central heating is not working. For some time I was able to get it working by lowering and increasing the thermostat to stop/start the 'on signal'..now I can;t do this as the boler recieves the on signal it doesn't fire up.

I have a worcester 28i combi boiler.
The technician ran the boiler on service mode and showed that the pressure built up until the pressure relief valve released pressure at 3 bar. I still get hot water so the burner etc. is still working. I thought it was the diverter valve that needed replacing, but he claimed that the whole boiler is blocked...Is that true if I still get hot water?

Would it be possible to replace the heat exchanger and valve? Would that be cheaper than a new boiler?

Already had quotes £500 less than he claimed for a new boiler (plumbforce direct) and read a lot of very bad reviews of them online.

Sponsored Links
Hmm sounds a bit suspect :confused:
Why was the engineer called in what is the trouble?

If it's working in hot water mode it sounds to be fine. If the heat exchanger was block you wouldn't get any heat in the hot water.
Does the central heating work?

If the hot water works and is hot but the central heating does not could just be new diverter valve needed.

Most likely just expansion vessel needs pumping up with a foot pump.

Get someone else.

Updated with some details- I called out as I am getting hot water but central heating is not working. For some time I was able to get it working by lowering and increasing the thermostat to stop/start the 'on signal'..now I can't do this as when the boiler recieves the on signal from the thermostat it doesn't fire up.

Sponsored Links
It might be blocked but his test didn't prove anything, except that more than one thing is wrong. Could also be a dud pump + + , etc etc.

If it's blocked, the system will be blocked, so a new boiler won't cure it for long - it'll all need dealing with by someone else, not that fellah.

Much more than that, we can't really say from here.

Usually going to 3 bar means either the expansion vessel is faulty or the filling loop is left on or letting by.
Either way I can’t see it has anything to do with a blockage in the heat exchanger and as said if the heat exchanger is blocked you would get no hot water either.
Does sound like a possible diverter fault. It may be that getting the boiler to repeatedly try and operate the diverter was freeing it, however it could be another fault that’s stopping the diverter from operating, but that wouldn’t justify a new boiler!

Have a look here for a reliable engineer.

http://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/sitepages/bwchome.aspx

The trading standards have no axe to grind unlike those sites that advertise to get you a good workman. Opps! I mean workperson, must be PC these days. :D

Foorprints - it's a 28i !!
There were many loosely called 28i, but likely it has NO diverter valve and a duplex heat exchanger.
Could be blocked, on the ch side.

Otherwise yes, agreed, those things you mention could well need attention. Sounds like the first guy didn't look at much.

Well that will teach me to read posts properly and check my facts :oops:

Regards,
footprints
(wrist duly slapped)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back