New boiler using too much gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had worcester bosch 18kw boiler installed last year. Gas usage has gone up quite a lot this year, British Gas installed and are our gas suppliers but wouldn't help. At first annual service engineer said a few of these boilers have incorrect "setting". He tested and said at full power its reading 19.5kw. So he has changed the gas rate. He said the rate is set in factory so not checked at installation. Can anyone tell me if this would cause high gas consumption. I feel like I want to take it up with W B . He said it might explain why gas usage high but to monitor and let him know but be also changed central thermostat so now we won't know if its the thermostat or gas rate

Sponsored Links
What he said as a gas safe engineer or as a BG engineer is rubbish. When any new boiler is installed as part of the commissioning process the boiler has to be gas rated and in the commissioning log book the figure is recorded, IF THIS HAD BEEN DONE then they would have found the boiler was not performing properly. The exceeded burner pressure can cause the boilers heat exchanger to deteriorate at a faster rate than it should wearing the boiler out prematurely. The extra amount of gas used whenever boiler was at full flame (not modulating) is about 11% which is how much extra gas you would use while boiler is at full flame. If you have the boiler manual not the user one but the installation and maintenance manual have a look in the back and see if the commissioning section is filled in.

We had worcester bosch 18kw boiler installed last year. Gas usage has gone up quite a lot this year, British Gas installed and are our gas suppliers but wouldn't help. At first annual service engineer said a few of these boilers have incorrect "setting". He tested and said at full power its reading 19.5kw. So he has changed the gas rate. He said the rate is set in factory so not checked at installation. Can anyone tell me if this would cause high gas consumption. I feel like I want to take it up with W B . He said it might explain why gas usage high but to monitor and let him know but be also changed central thermostat so now we won't know if its the thermostat or gas rate

18kw output would gas rate at around 20kw so you've been mis-informed.

An extra 1.5kw would cost around 9 pence hr , with the boiler running 24hrs a day it would equate to around £194 a quarter , in reality 1.5 kw running for 5 hrs a day would cost around £48 per quarter.

He said 18kw boiler not 18kw output boiler so I reckon its input is 18kw the rubbish is saying not checked when installed, we all know that is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Yes they actually refer to them as a nett figure so multiply by 1.11 to give gross figure. So I stand corrected. and that's the 11% I was saying as well.

your probably heating your house more effectively.
Had a few jobs where not only changing the boiler but actually making the system work properly, house becomes warmer and therefore uses more gas.
It takes X amount of Kw to heat your home to X temperature regardless of boiler. You must be getting more heat somewhere. the 19.5 kw is irrelevant. if it was 21kw, your still using that, and if you didn't there wouldn't be alot left of the plastic flue :D

Thanks guys. We have boiler on 24/7, it's an old house so cools quickly, but we did that before. The thermostat was set to 17 degrees but house was 21 degrees. Changing the thermometer has definitely improved things, house seems to be roughly what we set thermometer at. We don't have any manuals for boiler. [/code][/list][/quote]

If you have trv's upstairs in bedrooms and kitchen then set them and a lower temp that will save energy, also a programmable room stat save energy since the temp is set to go up and down not on and off. Those two things will; save you nearly as much as condensing compared to non condensing boiler.

You say "too much gas"

How much is "too much?"

How much did you use last year?

We need actual meter readings, not estimates, and not averaged over three months.

He said 18kw boiler not 18kw output boiler so I reckon its input is 18kw

All boiler KW ratings are output. ;)

WB give a figure for input & output, for an 18kw input & the flow temp @ 50d or less the output is over 19kw ;)

NOTICE: The combustion settings on this
gas-fired boiler have been checked, adjusted
and preset at the factory for operation on
the gas type defined on the data plate.
No measurement of the combustion values is
necessary provided there is a meter installed
allowing the gas rate to be checked.
DO NOT ADJUST THE AIR/GAS RATIO VALVE.

why are we arguing over how to fix it when we don't know how much gas has been used in this (long, cold) winter?

Any heat produced by the boiler is used to heat the house.

The OP will be comparing the COST of the gas which is increasing by about 15% per annum.

Leaving heating on 24/7 is grossly wasteful and very unwise with the high fuel cost.

The new boiler will be more efficient than anything it replaced. It will modulate to provide lower outputs which the previous boiler may not have done.

If the customer wanted to save money they could have had it fitted by an indepernent for around £1400 rather than the £2400 that BG probably charged!

Tony

Nope not comparing cost, no disrespect but I'm not stupid, our usage has gone up significantly. Even BG acknowledged that but won't help to figure why. Also this winter no colder than winter b4 last n usage definitely gone up since then.

you don't want to tell us the meter readings then?

You say "too much gas"

How much is "too much?"

How much did you use last year?

We need actual meter readings, not estimates, and not averaged over three months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back