New Bosch Dishwasher Won't Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have bought a Bosch SMS40T32UK dishwasher, and have connected it to the cold water inlet, and to the waste pipe under the sink, using an adaptor to connect the 19mm pipe coming our of the Bosch to the 38mm sink pipe.

I have ensured that the pipe is raised above the height of the connection to the sink, and have made sure that there are no kinks in the pipe, but when I run a test cycle, it fills up with water, and after a while the "Check Water" light comes on.

I have to then scoop out the water to get it to run again, and it just fills up again with water.

To test if I had made a mistake, I unplugged the waste hose from the sink, popped it into a bowl and ran another cycle - no water came out at all. I can hear the waste pump firing up inside, but nothing comes out.

Looking inside the end of the waste hose supplied there is a black plastic device that fills most of the space - this slots into the adaptor I purchased.

There is a supplied circlular metal clip that fits over the end of the hose, but this doesn't seem to make any difference either.

I checked inside the dishwasher, checked the filter, and the little white plastic protector over the waste exit (under the filter) and all seems ok.

Bosch tell me they can fix it but will charge if it's my fault - I think the dishwasher is faulty, but am not totally sure I haven't done something daft.

Any help is much appreciated!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Not sure here but the black disc looks like some sort of flap valve that is pushed open by the water and snaps back to prevent water flowing back to the machine.
It may be that you have left too much of the tailpiece on your adaptor and it is preventing the flap from operating.
Try the machine into a bucket with the adaptor removed if it's ok cut off some of the tail leaving sufficent of course for a decent seal!

Regards,
footprints

Thanks you your reply footprints.

Yes I was wondering what that was - it looks like the metal clip pushes apart the plastic around the black valve, but that doesn't seem to let water flow.

Good point about the adaptor - if I cut it a little shorter that might help.

However I have tried your suggestion of putting the factory supplied hose direct into a bucket but nothing comes out at all. The machine fills up again and stops to prevent flooding.

I even laid the pipe flat to see if the pump wasn't strong enough, but still nothing!

All help is very much appreciated!

Sorry it did not help, if the standard hose will not empty my guess is you do have a duff dishwasher. I guess the only answer is a Bosch engineer a right pain they threaten you with charges. I had a similar problem with a noisy Dyson cleaner they threatened to charge if the engineer said it was ok at least it worked so I live with it but will never buy another Dyson product!

Sponsored Links
Have you removed the black non return flap and see if it pumps out. Then if it does just make sure there's a loop in the pipe to stop it returning back into the dishwasher.

Thanks footprints, I will watch out for that - I am sure it's a duff one.

rocks1 - thanks for your advice, I have tried removing the black non return flap but I can't see how to do this - do I push it in to the hose? That would surely just push it back into position when the water pressure hits it. I have also tried pulling it out but haven't been able to do so - is there a trick to pulling out the non return flap?

Thanks again for your help!

Pair of needle nose pliers to grip it and pull. Or put it on pump out when the mc is full of water then poke the black rubber with a screwdriver over the bucket if it then pumps out water that rubber had to come out.

Excellent thanks rocks1, I will try that this evening.

Many thanks for your help!

Non return valve only works with standpipe waste, your first effort probably jammed it in the pipe.Non return valve are normally built into the adapter and not fitted in hose.

Hi

Turns out that it was simply a black plastic cap inside the pipe - I pulled it out and we have a working dishwasher.

Poor form from Bosch - installation guide didn't show this at all, despite showing every other step!

Thanks all for your help!

I had the exact same problem but with my new Grundig GNF 41810 W dishwasher. In the end I had to coax the cap to the end of the pipe and then jam it there with a knife before screwing in with a corkscrew and pulling it out. It was a bloody pain in the backside but resulted in a working dishwasher!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back