New Build telephone points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am currently building 2 flats and would like to have the phone points installed with flush face plates and leave enough wire up by the fascia boards outside for BT to connect if/when the Tenants requires new line. This is so I can hide the cabling behind external render plaster/studwalls

My question is:

Do I just need to run external black cable all the way or would I need to swap over to white when entering property as I have heard the black type is filled with flammable gel.

Also have heard that BT will only connect to there own box, if I buried a backplate would they be able to fit a flush plate over it?

Thanks in advance

zaf

Sponsored Links
if I buried a backplate would they be able to fit a flush plate
Standard NTE5 is a flush fitting item. BT just normally fit it with a surface box.

If this is a new build the usual way is to tell BT you're a developer and ask them to survey for a DP for the premises. They can bring the cable inside a communal area and fit a DP box from which you run internal cables through conduits to the flats.

You can run external cable inside cavities, as long as it's separated from the living space by a fire barrier ie plasterboard.

Wire buried in render always tends to develop faults and ends up needing replaced. I would say if you're going to do that dont bother at all, just let BT do the whole thing once the flats are finished. Different story if you run the cable through the building, and out through the loft to the eaves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back