New building wanting to join to my drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has stood on its own since 1703 on the banks of a river up until recently where someone bought a small piece of land adjacent to me and decided to build a house. I was told that planning would never (never say never) get planning permission for many reasons but out of the blue did even though the corner of the house is approx 8ft away from the river banking which drops straight away. Ludicrous I know but we all know a lot of dodgy things are happening here!

Anyway my point is that these "Clowns" want to connect to my drains which I know I can't stop due to some ridiculous planning law dating back to the stone-age.

Question:

Now the distance to the actually drain in my garden is I would say 80-90ft and that length is made up of a pipe running across to the corner of their garden up to where our boundary is and from there it needs to running at an angle of 45deg. I know a change of direction requires an inspection point!

The depth they have to play with is 2feet 8inch.

The builder tells me he has enough drop but I have an issue here because of the 45deg angle that the waste may not reach the actual drain and that there will be a build up of CRAP causing endless blockages!

The builder also tells me that they will be running rain water into the drains, but with all the problems that we are having with flooding etc I have to question this and whether it is legal? I would have thought with the house basically 25feet away from the river itself, that the safest way to avoid any issues here is to run any rainwater straight into the river?

This as been a nightmare for me as they have done everything possible to **** me off, from building the house on higher ground, no discussion about the plans, changes to the plans on the internet without informing anybody, changing window sizes infringing my privacy, no discussion about the fence, building the the house higher than planned. You name it they have done it so no love lost here.

I know they want to be in by Christmas but with all this sh*te they have put me through I am going to hold up this build as long as I can!

Your feedback would very much be appreciated.

Cheers

Mick

Sponsored Links
Contact your local water supply company as they are the one who can say yes or no to the proposed method of connection to the sewers.

If they do connect to your drains then all the pipework that is shared becomes the "property" and responsiblity of the water company. Even if a sewer is privately owned and runs under private property it still becomes the "property" of the water company when another property is with the permission of the water company connected to it.

Agree with bernardgreen, certainly speak to the water company dealing with waste water first. We have had trouble with the main sewer and part of the problem I am told is the amount of rainwater run off entering the sewer, certainly got the impression from the engineers that it is frowned upon if not banned now.

Just makes me think of those Grand Designs on the TV programme where they build some hideous box that is a blot on the landscape, then stand in it looking out and saying what a lovely view they have!

Wherever the shared section is becomes the responsibilty of the water company so you're only responsible for the drain from your house to the shared connection.

The other property will have to have some form of discharge certificate from the water company. You can discharge rainwater into the main drain if it's not possible to build a soakaway, which also has to be discussed with building control and the water company. The new property will be charged for rainwater run off as well as foul water when they get their bills.

It's worth while contacting the water company yourself to raise the question and inform them of the situation - they'll have a record of it prior to anything changing - which you can go back to at a late stage if necessary.

I have a similar story so be warned - if the drain is on your land then it's not uncommon for the builder to 'tap into' your drain, on your land, when you're out - rather than go through the correct channels. Once it's done, it's done and you won't be able to revert it - plus trespass would be a civil case so dig deep if you want to go to court. I speak from experience of what happened to me. The water company had no record of the builder requesting a discharge (for four houses!) and they didn't want to chase it up either - once it was done no one was bothered.

Sponsored Links
though the corner of the house is approx 8ft away from the river banking which drops straight away..........I would have thought with the house basically 25feet away from the river itself,

Does this mean that the river bank drops away for 17 feet!

If the house is built higher than approval and they have made major changer to window positions or sizes then complain to the planners, it will get you further than ranting on the internet.

As for the drains you absolutely want a chamber but surely this can be done at the point of merging where their drain connects to yours?

A shared drain can be a pain to build over so try to consider future extensions you may want to do and consider where the connection best suits.

will you be having them round for christmas drinks??

If the house is built higher than approval and they have made major changer to window positions or sizes then complain to the planners, it will get you further than ranting on the internet.

As for the drains you absolutely want a chamber but surely this can be done at the point of merging where their drain connects to yours?

A shared drain can be a pain to build over so try to consider future extensions you may want to do and consider where the connection best suits.

will you be having them round for christmas drinks??

Excuse me this isn't a rant!!! Believe you me I have complained to planning on numerous occasions, involved my local MP and for what? It would appear that everything this person has done is above board but this council is as corrupt as they come. The Father-in-law of the person who owns the house is the architect, and that dick has got away with numerous projects in the past!

Last edited:
Contact your local water supply company as they are the one who can say yes or no to the proposed method of connection to the sewers.

If they do connect to your drains then all the pipework that is shared becomes the "property" and responsiblity of the water company. Even if a sewer is privately owned and runs under private property it still becomes the "property" of the water company when another property is with the permission of the water company connected to it.

Spoken to the Water Company and they have told me it is the responsibility of myself as the drain is private

these "Clowns" want to connect to my drains which I know I can't stop due to some ridiculous planning law dating back to the stone-age.

Are you sure that you have all the information about this?

The clowns can't just connect on your land unless you agree, or have an easement on your land permitting such a connection.

They may be able to request the water authority to provide a foul sewer connection for them, but that does not necessarily mean connecting across your land.

which I know I can't stop due to some ridiculous planning law dating back to the stone-age.

Planning law or a covenant on the property that entitles neighbours ( existing and new builds ) to connect to your drainage.

If it is a local planning law then a few more details would be interesting reading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back