New central heating pump - does this sound normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just changed the title of this post so it reflects another issue.

I have installed a new Pegler Terrier central heating pump to replace a broken Myson Unit Five.

After installing and bleeding I'm not really happy with the noise given out. I'm sure I've got rid of all the air but it still has a reasonable loud buzz to it. Much louder than the pump it replaced.

Initially when I installed I tried to run it on the lowest speed setting but it wouldn't start. In fact, it only starts on a higher setting or if I turn the shaft with a screw driver.

Is this normal? Once started it will keep running on a lower setting and warm all the rads but it won't restart once stopped.

This combined with the noise suggests to me it may be faulty?

Sponsored Links
Most pump motors are attached to the body by allen screws.The screws can be removed and the motor section can be rotated 90 or 180 degrees.What make of pump have you bought?

Most pump motors are attached to the body by allen screws.The screws can be removed and the motor section can be rotated 90 or 180 degrees.What make of pump have you bought?

It's a Pegler Terrier from Screwfix. Doesn't look like it can be rotated because I wondered if that was the case. I'll take another look though.

Looking at the screwfix site both those pumps look as if they have 4 screws securing the motor and can be removed allowing rotation of the motor head.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely right! I feel quite stupid now, having lost the ability to recognise an allen bolt.

Now what does an allen key look like?

:oops:

Cheers, all fixed.

Why do you think rotating the head will make any difference to the noise?

If you buy a cheap pump then dont expect it to be as good as the common Grunfoss or Wilo.

If it will not start on setting "1" then that implies its faulty ( too tight ) or it has already attracted dirt into the bearings.

The reality is that most pump replacements occur because the previous has failed due to dirt in the system. Obviously in this case the system should be cleaned before fitting a new pump.

Tony

Why do you think rotating the head will make any difference to the noise?

If you buy a cheap pump then dont expect it to be as good as the common Grunfoss or Wilo.

If it will not start on setting "1" then that implies its faulty ( too tight ) or it has already attracted dirt into the bearings.

The reality is that most pump replacements occur because the previous has failed due to dirt in the system. Obviously in this case the system should be cleaned before fitting a new pump.

Tony

The rotating the head bit was me being a bit thick last night. All sorted now. I just changed the title and first post so as to not have to start a new thread.

System was cleaned at the end of the summer so I guess I will be taking a trip back for a new pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back