Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2 bedroom home (2 floors). The length of the home is 10metres by 6meteres width.

Unfortunately, I was duped by a cowboy builder who installed a combi boiler (in the kitchen) and did a full central heating system installation in my home, after a few months the tradesmen fled the country and the central heating was not considered as safe, leaked pipes, stopped working etc... fake certification by the cowboy who fled and all the worst that you could imagine.

I am very saddened by this and now use electrical heating. Fortunately, I have savings to hire again for another full central heating system with a new boiler, pipes, radiators, the whole works and I am ready. Prior to doing so, I would like your opinions on the route I shall take which I go to detail below. I am planning to have the whole system replaced and for a new Combi boiler to be placed upstairs where the old hot water cylinder used to be. This was removed during my previous duped installation.

I thought it would be wise to place the boiler upstairs for gravitational purposes and easy pressure around the home. But having read other sites, there are considerations prior to moving the boiler that I have come to understand and it may not be as easy as it sounds.

To be honest, all I want to know is a roughly guided price to hire a certified gas safe registered engineer to carry out a full installation in my home, I need 12 new radiators to replace my old ones, double panel, and high-pressure system good boiler combi (Worcester) and to be able to control my heating via a phone etc... all in all I just want my whole home toasty warm without certain rooms being unbalanced. Want a nice balance throughout my home and easy control. I want water pressure around my whole home, Not having the wait a while too for the hot water to come through to the taps etc...

On the basis of your experiences how much would it cost to hire out a central heating engineer to carry out the work on average?, I need labour, parts, boiler, pipes, everything.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Any professional trade person will provide you with a quote/estimate free of charge.
I would suggest you get three quotes from different plumbers.
As friends for recommendations or phone a local plumbers merchants and ask for plumber they trust to give you a quote.
Then you can explain your problem when they come to quote
Hope this helps you.

As above as @Handymanjo has pointed out you should get an estimate for free. Bare in mind that if you require a full system design with parts specification then this may be chargeable as a lot of work can go into this just for the quotee to use it as a shopping list for their needs. If we ever need to charge for system design then that price is refunded should they take us up on the job.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately none of the professionals here would be able to give you any idea of how much it may cost without access to your home, it's just one of those things that can't be accurately done over the internet. As @Handymanjo & @Aquaheat mentions, get a few recommended installers in to quote you. Have all your requirements written down to make it easier. Depending on how old the system is then it may be possible to use some of the installation that is currently there so reduces costs.

Also don't look to install a Worcester if you believe it to be a 'typically good' boiler and depending on the family size and/or usage requirements then a combi may not actually be what you need.

@MissBuilding1975 It may not be your forte but with some of the advice given above you may be able to get yourself into a position that will facilitate a quality install. Unfortunately you have been stung in the past but these things do happen on rare occasions so your pessimism is justifiable. If you need advice on things then just ask but to be able to price a job that we cant see is just madness. (Que Tony with a price derived from the number 84!! in fact is that his price or his bus route?)

Jon

As @Aquaheat mentions, you haven't had the best of luck and your experience with the trade hasn't been positive but honestly, we're not all like that. Whereabouts in the country are you @MissBuilding1975? There may be installers here who are local and able to help you or at least may be able to give local advise.

See @MissBuilding1975 you have a @Madrab (Rob) a @Aquaheat and as much as he will hate to admit it a @Dan Robinson on your side. There will be more to follow but appreciate tat we get asked the cost question on an hourly basis and we really cant help with that normally. We will give you very generous advice though. As Rob has asked, if you pop up your area than there may be one of us round by you that could give you a better idea.

Jon

If you already have a hot water cylinder, you may want to keep that type of system using a heat only boiler. So have an open mind re your installers suggestions.

Sorry to hear you have experienced the worst the industry can offer - but there are a lot of good lads on here who give willingly of their time. It would be to your advantage if you posted your location, one of our posters may be near enough to quote.

Good luck. Oh, and avoid Worcester boilers.

@snes @Aquaheat @Madrab @Handymanjo @Dan Robinson

Thank you all for your advice in advance. Yeah, unfortunately, i was one of the unlucky ones, I have no doubt as you all have mentioned that there are many honest workers in this trade.

As for location, i am based in Hertfordshire, Hemel Hempstead. As for Worcester Boilers, I was just following a reviews guide on Which.co.uk that I am a member of showed that Worcester Bosch was top of the league for boilers. Haha, what do I know?

@snes I do not have a hot water cylinder anymore that was removed.

First thing Monday I shall contact trusted traders and gather a few quotes over the week.

Do any of you know a rough margin cost for how much a trader could charge maximum for my requirements?

Thank you all again.

@Steelmasons @picasso I was not expecting that price, I thought it would be between £3500 - £5000 ... Nowhere near 10k. Having seen online the prices from which.co.uk indicate around 3 to 5.

Thanks for your reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back