New Combi installation, do I need complete new system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a few quotes to put in a new combi boiler to replace our old old 10-15 yr old gravity fed system. Only one has recomended replacing the entire system (ie. radiators & pipework) he said the corrosion in old radiators will damage a new boiler even when a magnaclean is fitted.

We've had 3 other quotes for the boiler and no-one else has recommended this so Im just wondering how concerned I should be about it.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
As we cannot see your system we cannot judge.

Its only fairly rarely that rads have to be changed and very rare to need to change the pipework.

Even if its dirty power flusing would clean it. A Magnaclean is not a substitute for cleaning a system.

Whats more relevant is if you should be fitting a combi at all. Have ALL the quoters measured/checked the water supply dynamic flow rate?

Tony

Hi Tony,

only one checked the flow rates and it wasnt the one who recomended the new rads

We are getting the bathroom done and thought a mixer shower would be good and so why not update the boiler at the same time. Though Im starting to wonder if its worth it.

Has the mixer shower been specified for low or high pressure?

Plumbers love to argue but in my view anyone who quotes without measuring the mains water supply for a combi to replace a traditional system is totally incompetent. Wait for all the posting abusing me from those who think its not necessary.

Did the one who tested the mains seem any more knowledgeable than the others? Was he the most expensive?

Another thing they should have done is checked the gas meter location and how to run new gas to the combi boiler position.

There is so much to be done that I dont go trotting off to give free quotes on site only to find they get someone cheaper to do the work after I have checked everything and specified whats needed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
When you say 10 - 15 year old system, do you mean pipes and rads, or just the boiler? Doesn't sound very old. Also, is there anything wrong with your CH system?

If you haven't got the required hot and cold flow to your new shower, you could poss add a shower pump to your HW cylinder. This should give as good a shower as a combi. Only other thing you may have to do if using a pump is use a larger cold tank in the roof, or perhaps add a second tank.

Ripping out a CH system seems overkill just for a decent shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back