new consumer unit and problems with tripping rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just had a new consumer board fitted,it is a split load board with two rcd`s to protect the circuits.

I now have the problem that when the heating or hotwater via the old y plane central heating is switched on it trips the rcd.

If you flip the mcb for the immersion and heating off on the consumer you have no power to the heating but I have also found that if you flip the mcb for the sockets off you also have no power to the heating and immersion heater,the electrician was scratching his head and has promised to come back next week but has left me with no heating.

All was ok before the new board was fitted and the heating and electrics worked fine could anyone give me some pointers as I fear he is going to try and shaft me and say all is ok upto the fused spur in the airing cupboard

Also the oven is tripping the other rcd when its switched on,lights and sockets seem to work ok and they test ok.

Sponsored Links
Wonder if he will be back !!!

Post photos of the CU.

Are the 2 Mcbs you mention on different sides of the cu

Usually the immersion would be on a b16
And heating on a different one eg sockets.

Did u have an rcd in your old cu?

The mcb for the heating and immersion heater are on the same side as the mcb for the sockets,it trips if you turn the heating on but not when the immersion is switched on.
The strange thing is the mcb for the sockets and the mcb for the heating/immersion heater cuts the power to the switch in the airing cupboard.

no rcd on the old consumer unit

i've not paid him yet so he better come back.

Sponsored Links
Sorted ,the original wiring to the boiler was the problem, the earth and neutral were crossed over on the boiler connection and had probably been running like this for years before I purchased the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back