New Desktop PC

Windows 7 :D

But does it come with any sort of warranty?

Sponsored Links
A gaming rig can be built for £300, but £400 is more reasonable.

A mid range graphics card will be another £70-£90, and the "problem" is that as soon as you stick in a graphics card, you need a bigger PSU than the standard 230w cheapo computers come with, that adds another £30-£40.

And unless you actually use it for gaming or 3D programes, you will be wasting your money.

Nor would I recommend buying a Celeron. Ever.

Meh, as soon as you are talking dual core processors, the average user won't ever know the difference.

Sponsored Links
I have interrogated said son and he says he wants to play Minecraft and FPS games, Dark RP, Titanfall etcetera...

Would you still lay out £400 to play this kind of stuff?

I have interrogated said son and he says he wants to play Minecraft and FPS games, Dark RP, Titanfall etcetera...

You need a computer with a proper graphics card then.

£300 minimun but only realistic if you buy the bits and assemble.

£400 is a sensible amount, definately no more than £500.

Use this link to check the graphics card that comes with the computer is any good http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html (If the card isnt on this list, it is very likely beceause it doesnt score enough to be on it, rather than it being missing).

If you want to buy retail, this is a reasonable choice http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...s/advent-dt-3411-desktop-pc-21656723-pdt.html

Of course you can buy cheaper on line, but if you are buying rather than making, for the sake of £30 I would prefere to buy in a shop so I can go shout at someone if it breaks.

£400 is really about the lower limit, I am afraid, you have to bear in mind that good graphic cards, generally cost more than the PC itself, sorry, that's just the way it is. I guess you could cobble together some second hand stuff and if lucky build a £1000 equivalent box for £400 but then you have to be lucky, plus no warranty etc etc etc.....

you have to bear in mind that good graphic cards, generally cost more than the PC itself

Not unless you buy a GTX Titan or something equally insane. Anyone who buys a Titan Z has more money than sense. The likes of a GTX 780, well, if you're not pairing that up with a proper CPU (which will cost £150+), a nice motherboard, and a proper power supply, you're wasting it.

I'd put a basic gaming machine at around £550. Usually end up around £700 with a bit of spit and polish.

Mine usually cost more like £1200.

I'd put a basic gaming machine at around £550.

The one I linked to is £430, It will play all modern games on decent settings.

It's PCW, and a PCW own brand. It got automatically filtered out of my reading.

It consists of three year old hardware. Sorry, no bite. You can build better for that price if you want an intentionally low end machine.

:snob jpeg:

It consists of three year old hardware.

Which will still play all modern games.

You can build better for that price if you want an intentionally low end machine.

I can yes, but can the OP, and does he want to pay £550?

I would agree £550 will get you a good PC.

:snob jpeg:

Experience and simple principle, sorry. ;)

It consists of three year old hardware.

Which will still play all modern games.

With qualifiers. Such as low resolutions, minimum detail settings, no AA.. Perhaps the game player would like to experience all the game he paid for?

That 6670 will stumble and fall with Titanfall. I know this because I play Titanfall on a card rather significantly higher end than that!

You can build better for that price if you want an intentionally low end machine.

I can yes, but can the OP, and does he want to pay £550?

Honestly, building PCs is 90% slotting things into the one hole (or several usually functionally identical holes, these days) they fit in. The rest is easily communicated. As for whether he wants to pay that much, that is indeed the real question.

Been watching Youtube videos with AMD in mind.

One such video showed a budget PC being built to beat XBox 1, graphics and performance-wise.

Their list was:

CPU: AMD FX 6300
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850
MB: Asus M5A78L-M/ USB3
PSU: EVGA 80+ 500W
HDD: Sata III 500 GB @ 7200
RAM: Kingston HyperX blu 1600MHz 8GB
Case: Fractal Core 1000 mATX

which I total to about £450...

Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but is there going to be a fantastic difference to my son in playing games on the already-mentioned £160 machine and something like this one?

It's about 2.8 x the price!

Or is there a middle ground?

Am I being a skinflint?;)

Sponsored Links
Back