new dimmer help with common wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a dimmer switch and it only has a L1 and L2 terminals which would the common wire go? Only two wires both red but know which is the common new switch has no terminal for it

Attachments

• 20151228_171443.jpg
    20151228_171443.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 142
Sponsored Links
The new dimmer includes a wiring diagram on the back, as seen in your pic.

To comply with the diagram, the permanent live goes to L1.
The switched live goes to L2.

There is no way of telling which wire is which without testing. The fact that a particular wire is in the common terminal is no guarantee that it is the permanent live.

That said, it usually doesn't matter which way round the wires go on a dimmer - though always best to follow manufacturers instructions and diagrams.

Sponsored Links
TRy ot one way, if it doesnt work then swop the wires. It will not do any harm.
The potential difference between L1 and L2 will vary from +325V to -325V and back to +325V 50 times per second. How can it matter which conductor goes into which terminal?

I know, you know, all of the "experts" on here know.
I only added it as a bit of reassurance to our newbie DIYer.

Yeah, but...

If it doesn't work one way that won't be because the wires need swapping...

Ok got a multimeter how would I test for live?
By setting it to AC Volts on a range of 250V or above, plugging the two test leads into the correct sockets on the multimeter, connecting one probe to a known earth and the other to the wire you are testing.

However this is not necessary. You have two wires and two terminals. One wire in each terminal. Job done.

Ok got a multimeter how would I test for live?
By setting it to AC Volts on a range of 250V or above, plugging the two test leads into the correct sockets on the multimeter, connecting one probe to a known earth and the other to the wire you are testing.

However this is not necessary. You have two wires and two terminals. One wire in each terminal. Job done.

Does it not matter which way they go though they are currently wired like this

Attachments

• 20151228_165150.jpg
    20151228_165150.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 108
Does it not matter which way they go though they are currently wired like this

No, because it is AC current and the polarity is constantly changing back and forth at 50Hz. Now what is somewhat important is the the line and switched line wires are properly identified, what can in certain cases be important. (i.e. when you have multiple lights fed from one switch)

In your case, what way round you connect the red (Line) wires to the dimmer is not important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back