New Drill Bit Set - For Masonry, Timber, & Metal.

Discussion in 'Tools and Materials' started by EViS, 31 Jan 2009.

1. EViS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I need to invest in a quality drill bit set. One set for Masonry, one for Timber, and one for Metal. The latter can be cheaper as it will be used least often.

I'll be using these primarily with my cordless 18V BHP452 Makita drill/driver using Lithiom-Ion batteries. They will be occasionally used with a wired Bosch.

What manufacturer do you recommend? I've had a look over at D&M Tools but the choice is so vast I have no idea what to go for.

I don't mind paying a bit more for quality that will last and rather a drill only set (as opposed to one that comes with pliers/spirit levels/etc.).

2. swbjackson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  3. EViS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice there. I've heard good things about the Bosch 'Blue' line. However, is 7 drill bits sufficient?

I see the wood & metal options are non-branded. This in itself is not necessarily a bad thing (produced in the same factory, etc.). But why do you recommend these as opposed to other sets?

4. neds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have had good results with the Dewalt Extreme 2 masonry drill bits. However these days drilling with regular masonry drill bits is a bit of a chore with my regular 18v and I just end up using my cordless 12V SDS drill for masonry.

5. swbjackson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unbranded tend to be a bit cheaper. There's a nice variety in the wood set and plenty of spares in the metal set.

6. EViS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The metal choice looks supiciously cheap from a price perspective. They're also not made from HSS.

I like the timber and masonry sets though. They're also both sold by screwfix.

7. breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yes, if you wanmt to drill 7 sizes of hole.

I hate "drill bit sets" you have already asked is 7 enough? so i can see you are not sure either.

please read the following then decide. (i make the bits / sizes / cost up)

You buy a "set" of drill bits. 3, 4 ,5, 6, 7 & 10 mm = £12

The 3 is too small, the 10 is too big, that leaves you 4 bits

averge cost is £2/bit you have just spent £4 on stuff you don't want.

You then use the 4mm bit, press to hard and .............

so you use the 5mm bit, you then realise you shouldn't have as the hole is 1mm too big.

My point is, why not buy a couple of bits in the sizes you do want, not the sizes you never use in a set

8. EViS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh you are quite correct in what you state. But one does never know when they may need a certain size... Hence buying a set which covers all basis isn't exactly a bad idea, as long as that set includes the most commonly used sizes. It's this latter point which is extremely difficult to apply.

However, buying individually, where do you keep all the bits you buy? Mixed up together within a toolbox? It's nice to have some sort of 'case'.

9. breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if you have "some sort of case" where do you keep the ones that are the same size you already have?

but as i said you will be paying for bits you really dont want, but are conned into buying them, like you, "just in case"

did you also know that 2 million brits / year spend a fortune on 1/4 inch bits they dont want. They only want the hole.

10. EViS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well all the bits I already have are just rattling around in an old set case (i.e. in the compartment where the set hand screwdriver was :rolleyes:). I'm chucking the lot and starting fresh, going to look after these new bits better this time around, and sharpening them often.

11. swbjackson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

12. EViS

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    fair point there swbjackson :).

13. JonB

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    All my working life as a Maintenance Fitter (retired now) we only used Dormer HSS drills for metal.
    JonB

14. breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I agree (we know you shouldn't but you do) which is why i said

which brings me back to the point of why buy a whole set?

15. gregers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom