New dvd recorder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our old Sony DVD has gone phut. We would like a replacement, obviously, but my wife would like something simple. When I start to talk about connecting to the internet and all the benefits that would confer, she just glazes over.

So is it still possible to get a basic DVD recorder, one that would be reliable and had a simple, good remote? The thing that she would really like is one that started and stopped recording when the program started and stopped rather than to the supposed times.

It will be connected to a Panasonic TX-L42E6B TV.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There isn't much choice in DVD Recorders at all nowadays. The PVR has taken over for basic record then playback at a later time. Panasonic still make one DVD Recorder (DMR-EX97) but as far as I am aware it records to an internal hard drive off TV rather than directly to DVD disc. There are actually some advantages to that; if you are keen to archive then it's possible to edit out adverts for example.

If all you need is something to record then play back at your leisure then a PVR might have some benefits. Have a look at Humax PVRs.

Last edited:
PVR's are pretty easy to use, you choose the programme (or the series of programmes) and the box does the recording for you, complete with starting and ending at the appropriate dates/times. With the dual channel ones you can 'record' two programmes simultaneously while watching a third programme via your TV's built in freeview channel. To play back you simply choose your recording from a list. Without trying to sound degrading towards my mother...if she can do it, I'm sure your wife will also be able to.

Sponsored Links
Okay Lucid. I'll suss out the Humaxes. Thanks for your help
If I may put in my four penn'orth, I'd recommend Panasonic.

I have a Panasonic BluRay PVR/recorder. As has been mentioned the PVR records the programmes and, if I want to archive them to disc, I edit out the adverts whilst on the hard disc. Then it is straightforward to copy to DVD or BluRay disc.

The big advantages of BluRay are twofold: firstly, they hold far more material than DVDs and, more importantly in my opinion, programmes can be copied to BluRay discs in a fraction of the time it takes to record to DVDs, at least with my system. For example, a two-hour film takes a little over two hours to copy to DVD, but only ten or fifteen minutes to BluRay disc. Worth considering.

If it's just for recording TV programmes a PVR wins any day. Plus you can pause live TV. So useful if you need to go to the loo. I record virtually everything so I can replay and whizz through the adverts.

Hi All,
I now have a new PVR a BT DTR-T2110. I've set it up without trouble but have yet to fathom out the intricacies of accessing last weeks programs, things like that. The picture and the remote are good and all the signs are indicating that it's going to be a good 'un.

Thanks to all who posted.

I think that's the one I bought for my stepson. You need an internet connection to get the full benefit of all the features

When my Philips failed I also looked for a replacement and they were rather expensive. So simple using one can't go much better than the Sky+ HD box, you don't need instructions it is all intuitive. The down side is you need to pay for sky and as soon as you stop paying you can't view what you have recorded. Upside even the program guides description is retained with the recording. And it does auto adjust times.

So for long term recording I use a PC, with Windows 10 under the TV just like the DVD recorder was and I record now to a external hard drive. I bought a USB dongle thing which came with software and I record from the Sky box. It was not by design I was given the PC which then I found would not work with the PC input for the TV, until that is when Microsoft did an update from 8 to 10 at what point it worked A1. Yes I could record to DVD but easier to use a 1 TB 2.5 inch hard drive, all programs are together no hunting through the DVD's. Daughter also down loads films onto hard drive so we often swap hard drives.

You try watching game of thrones one after the other all the way through, not sure how many days but far more than will fit on any DVD or Blu-ray.

My son-in-law got a free to air box which would record onto a stick, however it was some odd format and it would only work with that box, my mother has a HD free to air box and that one is far better it records and plays in a standard format and I can plug in the hard drive not too expensive from Maplin. However the internet bit is useless called an IceWeasel it does what she wants to watch and record TV but internet seems to be Weather reports only.

I have a blu-ray player which allows one to view U-Tube etc. But when I went to get one for mother seems they have moved on and now the units will only work after you have registered your bank credit or debit card. I was not into that so took it back.

Best of it the TV my mother has will record it has a built in hard drive. But with alsimizers she can't work out how to use it. She has an old LG TV and again it was a case of click on the program guide to record. However the freeview program guide often did not show the programs on her TV, clearly something to do with TV as my Panasonic shows the programs OK when we used freeview, now disconnected got fed up with having to re-tune all the time.

This is a problem with any freeview device, until you buy you don't know how good the program guide will be. With satellite we seem to have two systems "free to air" which is like freeview hit and miss to if program guide works and often only now and next. And "Freesat" which has same program guide as Sky.

I am sure Lucid will correct what I have said, she is really very good, believe what she says. But if you want easy no fuss record then the Sky+ box has to be top. But the "Freesat" boxes are not far behind. And in some ways "I believe in better"! as with the free to air boxes I have I can re-order the programs so I have ITV 3 then next one is ITV 3+1 so much easier when one misses something to just go up one channel rather than having to wade through the listings.

I hate to admit it but the Virgin Media Tivo beats the Sky HD box in every way except I didn't like the remote control. You can program the Tivo box not to record repeats and the series link would find the same show on different days. Great box but their customer service is even worse than Sky so I went back to Sky. Also the VM installation was a right mess.

Humax PVR is a good choice, the current stack have option to allow expansion of the hard disk too. You also have the option of inserting a USB memory stick in to your TV as some of the Panasonic smart tvs can record/playback from a usb device. If its formatted correctly a mobile hard disk might even work (I use an old laptop hard disk in a disk enclosure in my car instead of a USB stick).

If you really want an alternative to a PVR or DVD recorder, I can recommend a Synology disk station as this (if your tv is connected to your network) can download films tv etc. using its torrent based download station and stream them direct to your tv. Why bother recording stuff if someone else has done it for you.

You try watching game of thrones one after the other all the way through
I did try, recently, but I only got half way through episode two before I'd had enough. How can anyone watch this violent rubbish and still retain his sanity? It was just awful.

There was a flash sale in richer sounds yesterday - they had a few bargains. Mostly open box, but still with warranty

My TVs record to hard drive and memory stick, but (presumably copyright protect) will not play on a different TV. So I am looking for a DVD recorder to fit so I can keep for future use. I have USB, scart, composite and other connectors. Samsung TVs. Any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back