New external TV aerial not functioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my external aerial for a wideband aerial as I was advised my current aerial could not receive all freeview channels.

Having done so and set up freeview, I can receive only very few!

1) I recognise I need to more accurately direct the aerial - it is pointing roughly though not exactly in the same directions as neighbours'.

2) I fitted the existing cable to the aerial using an F connector. However, I have read that the outer wires should be copper but mine are silver coloured - does this mean i need to upgrade the cable? I was advised what I have is sufficient (bit from description only, not a visual inspection)_.
Also, if I haven't connected the f connector correctly, will this lead to only some channels being receivable - or is it an all or nothing situation?

Does anyone have any advice?
Could either of these issues on their own mean only some channels received, or is there something else I have missed?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is normally a built in meter with most modern TV's to show signal strength. This should help in aiming aerial. The broad band aerial was required in many areas before analogue was switched off. But most areas will not require them after change over. There are a few exceptions like where I live if you want English and Welsh TV. The broad band aerial is much bigger than the banded type and so if physically same size then gain wise it will be a lot smaller. They are sold by what their DB gain is and you need to look at recommended gain for your area. Because wind can damage aerials I would only fit a broad band aerial where required as of course more metal in the sky more likely to get wind damage and even lighting strikes.

You can buy small hand held signal meters for DTT for less than £15 or £20. The advantage with these is you can take them to the roof when aligning the aerial. Alternatively, if you have or can borrow a good compass then you can find the direction of the transmitter from your house and align that way instead.

Sponsored Links
The UHF cable should be rated at 75ohm, and as the outer casing is silver coloured rather than copper, sounds like it has a higher impedence, ie wrong cable.

A general location based on neighbours direction is adequate, and the connection from the cable to the TV is essential, make sure the RF signal is complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back