new garage concrete base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all have demolished my old garage and im wanting to replace with a larger one I know I need planning and building regs as confirmed by the council
ideally I would like to install the base first then choose a suitable concrete garage then apply for planning
the base needs a building notice before I can construct it and reinforcing designed by a structural engineer
can I put one notice in for base drainage and a concrete garage not knowing what garage I will choose

Sponsored Links
You can do it on a building notice. You'll need a reasonable idea of what is going up but nothing detailed. In theory you need to have planning in place before you start but you could build a reasonably substantial structure under permitted development.

Are you sure you need regs for the construction? That only applies if it is bigger than 30m2 for non combustible materials. You'll need regs sign off for electrics and drainage, though. If it does need regs then the notice needs to go in before you start.

ideally I would like to install the base first then choose a suitable concrete garage
Any particular reason for concrete?

Environmentally, concrete is really nasty stuff, and if you want to use it as a garage, not a shed/workshop/gym/laundry/whatever, wood is much better as you get far fewer condensation problems.

Sponsored Links
Concrete's more secure, and lasts longer. screw the tree huggers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back