New garage roof required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks as though I need a new roof on my garage. It is made from clay pan tiles which have started to crumble there are numerous ones loose and sliding off and when I got up the ladder to have a closer look almost every other tile came away in my hand. The problem is that the tiles look OK from the ground but the 3 inches or so which laps under the tile above has turned to dust. Is this just due to age, weather or what. I live about 200 yards from the sea could it be the damp sea air?
Any way with about a third to half of the tiles appearing to be beyond saving is it worth trying to repair the roof with the prospect of the ones which haven't yet given up the ghost needing to be changed in the not too distant future or would it make more sense to re do the whole thing?

My main question is what could I expect to pay for a full re roofing job. If I do re do it all I think it would be best in what I am told are double roman concrete tiles which would match the house ( the house roof looks relatively new maybe that was pan tiles which rotted away as well, can't say cos we've only lived here for a year).
The garage is 15 metres long and the roof is 2 metres from ridge to gutter so 60 metres of tile required. Straight pitched roof gable at each end nothing fancy. Oh and single storey.

Can anyone give me an idea of what this should cost all in, re felt battening, scaffold, skip for old roof etc. I hope theres enough info there to make a stab at the expected cost.

Thanks..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back