New gas supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a property that currently has no gas supply.
I need to have one installed to run the central heating system and for cooking.
Does anyone have any experience of the process involved, are there any suppliers who will fit a supply pipe and meter for free and how long might it take to carry out the work.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
depends where you are...are you sure mains gas is supplied to your area?

The process is that you contact the gas transporter - Transco. They will come around and do a survey. This will be based on the distance from the nearest supply they can connect you to after digging up roads, pavements etc etc. They will give you an estimate but do not be surprised if the final bill comes to more. They will leave having supplied the pipework, gas meter and mter box, if fitted externally.

It is now your responsibility to connect the meter up to any domestic appliances. For this you need a Corgi engineer.

I don't know of anyone who does this work for nothing or even why they should.

i had gas supply put in got it all installed, but no meter, they wouldnt until there was something to connect meter to, so they could test it. handy having ex brother-in-law (now deceased) as working for bg, installed bolier, and brought new gas meter with him

Sponsored Links
Hi henry,

It seems obvious to me why a gas supplier would fit a gas supply and meter for free - because then they can get a customer who will pay for their gas for many years to come

I dunno, my gas bill only comes to £50 a year (heated air and hob only). So if it costs them £500 to install all the guff including all their overheads such as paying the guys to do the work, leasing the van etc. etc. then it wouldn't make sense for them to do it for free.

I would say that a profitless install would be a fair compromise, regulated by the industry watchdog.

All makes you wonder when you see a new property that is all electric, just how much did the developers save by not getting gas installed in all the houses/flats when they were built? "Not a lot" is the answer I suspect.

peter anderson said:
It seems obvious to me why a gas supplier would fit a gas supply and meter for free - because then they can get a customer who will pay for their gas for many years to come

What? When you can choose a different supplier the next year?
Anyway, Transco does not supply gas - it just transports it.

What? When you can choose a different supplier the next year?
Anyway, Transco does not supply gas - it just transports it.

As I said, the gas transporter lays the supply. You are their customer forever, regardless of the supplier, so why would they do it for nothing? there is no competition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back