New house jobs advice please

Sponsored Links
You've not quite worked out how forums work!

Did you open the album? I have to use images because I don't know the name of the fitting etc and putting them all in one album instead of posting separately
seems perfectly adequate to me. if you'd bothered you will see images with the questions, killing 2 birds with one stone.

You've not quite worked out how forums work!

Did you open the album? I have to use images because I don't know the name of the fitting etc and putting them all in one album instead of posting separately
seems perfectly adequate to me. if you'd bothered you will see images with the questions, killing 2 birds with one stone.
Yes I opened your album, not the album you linked to in your original post, that link takes every user who clicks on it back to their own album page not yours.

Now please explain why everyone (generally) else who uses the forum manages to post their photos and then the related questions actually within their posts why you have seen fit to write the questions on top of the photos in your album? And not even linked to your album correctly?

With hundreds if not thousands of new and coherent posts/threads to read every day, to expect members to go through all the hassle of opening individual photos in your album and then somehow commenting on them in some kind of coherent order back in the thread is plain daft.

So if you want to get some answers then post the photos into your thread and then write the questions you have in your thread.

Its not brain surgery.

Or even rocket science.

Fair do's. I just noticed that this forum allows members to make albums that I allowed everyone to see. I dragged the link in and tested it worked and so it did. But as you say it would do because the link forwards only to the members albums that click on it. I never seen that explained when I upped and added the link, so apologies for my mistake.

Sponsored Links
1) Outside tap - you've chosen a strange way to feed it and it doesn't comply with water regs. You need and internal isolator, double check valve and draincock to comply. You also need to sleeve the pipe passing through the external wall.

2) The fitting in your second picture is a type B light pattern draincock. This type of key to operate it. http://www.screwfix.com/p/plumbing-tools-by-rothenberger-4-way-radiator-services-cabinet-key/84379.

3) The black plastic wastepipe is probably the condensate drain from your boiler (the 15mm copper in the same photo is likely the pressure relief discharge from the boiler). Not best practice to drill through the lintel to install them though!

4) The internal stopcock is in a strange location and could be moved providing that your are prepared to make good the damage caused by moving it. You should always have an operable internal stockcock in addition to the water providers external one.

Does the stop cock work? If you want to keep it, just make a neat hole in the back of the new cupboard.

Thanks men

I originally wanted to feed the outside tap by replacing the washer isolator valve for a dual Washer/Dishwash isolator valve,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Appl...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item3a920605d7

but the merchant never had them in stock. The plastic Y-Splitter was crap but just about done the job. I may order the Dual wm/dw isolator though to be safe, as I think the Y-splitter is for draining rather than mains pressure feeding.

I have an internal stopcock as the main enters the property, above that is the type B light pattern draincock and above that there is also an electric switched stop
I turned the kitchen wall stopcock (in supplied image) off and the mains water was still on. There was also a poly tank in the loft which is now dry and unused, so I was hoping it had something to do with that and the stopcock could be removed!

I want to use the draincock to water the plants at the front, but when I attached a hose with a stop end to it, water came out from the tap spindle part! Maybe that's why it's just a drain, as it can't handle mains pressure at that point! Any how it's ok if I take the stop end off the hose.

Some more images of todays jobs on the house.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

I know it's over complicated but I don't have the tools to bend the pipe over the hot feed and my knees aren't much use nowadays, so was trying to do it within my capability. I've ordered the metal isolator dual valve to give it a stronger fixing though. I think it should be safer then. Pity the cold feed wasn't on top of the hot!

pmc64, is this your house? Cos your other thread about extractors suggests otherwise.

It's social housing (rented) I've just moved hopefully for the last time. I was very active at my old house with a nice big garden and 2 polytunnels. Sadly this one hasn't a garden but I've always had to do all the jobs alone when moving (That's why I'm hoping it's my last move) I like to keep active and do a lot of my own D.I.Y...although it may not be to the best standards. Outside socket and tap have always been a priority. I've got a list as long as my arm to get comfortable. The biggest being new kitchen, as the one in the property won't even accommodate a fridge. There is a back lounge next to the kitchen that will
be perfect for the kitchen and the old one will become a utility room.

These are to scale layout plans I drew up... The smaller room has double base units in the recess at present where a fridge and freezer will go after completion

So its not your property yet you want to bodge things up and not fit things correctly, and when it all goes tits up and water is spraying everywhere i suppose you expect your landlord to put it right! :rolleyes:

So its not your property yet you want to bodge things up and not fit things correctly, and when it all goes **** up and water is spraying everywhere i suppose you expect your landlord to put it right! :rolleyes:

What a silly negative boy. There's nothing wrong with the job, it's all tested and performing exactly as expected on fittings made for mains water pressure. Yes it may be a roundabout way to do it but it's how I could do it without the necessary tools an approved plumber would have. It's at least 1 step up from a cheap outside tap kit.

And if it did go wrong I certainly wouldn't ask or expect the landlord to pay or fix the problem you stupid boy. How dare you presume I want to bodge things up. I did a job to my abilities that is 100% tested and working. More than I can say for your mother giving birth to you, you stupid boy.

He does have a point, though maybe not particularly well made.

I certainly wouldn't want (or allow) any tenant of mine to start drilling through walls or changing kitchens around, regardless of their capabilities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back