New house sink shortcuts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bought a new house from barratt almost a year ago to the day. I've had a few complaints that they have reluctantly and slowly fixed, but I just noticed another and I just want to double check I'm not looking for perfection and that this is a normally bathroom installation...

Basically, the sinks in the house don't seem to be attached properly. They aren't secured to the floor by screws. No silicone to basin, and the screws at the back basin don't have wall plugs so you can just pull them out.

If you take some slight weight of the basin the pedal tool is only siliconed to the laminate floor is just moves about.

I'm guessing there is a load of glue holding the basin to the wall alone, and that's it. Is this normal? Should I be expecting more? Safe?

Thanks!

Ps. Used this forum for some time but never actually posted so hello all!

Sponsored Links
First of all, if you are going to complain to them you have to get the terminology correct. A sink is in the kitchen or utility room. The others are basins.

These days basins are normally fixed to the wall using bolts (fischer bolts) which first screw into the wall whether it is stud or brick. The basin is then hung on the bolts and fastened by tightening a plastic nut. have a look right under the basin and see if they have been used.

There should be sealant around the top of the basin whether it is tiled or not. A pedestal should really be screwed to the floor but is often not done. to be fair, this can sometimes be an advantage if it needs to be removed in the future because screws tend to rust. Sometimes the pedestal is masticked instead. Personally, I always mastic between it and the basin to stop any movement.

What they have given you is not correct and should be put right in my opinion. I notice you have children who don't understand not putting weight on a basin and it could possibly end in an accident.

Ah, sink, fair enough then thanks.

That's brilliant though thank you for the reply. The screws holding the basin in are just screws through the wall. Nothing else, there even loose in the plaster and just pull free. The Pedestal is very loose. I guess the contractors were in a rush that day...

Anyway, KI gave them a call and there visiting to fix it. Thanks again - I just wanted to be sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back