New induction hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone tell me the size of cable required for my new hob. The hob comes with two cables to connect to two cooker points (each of 30 amps or one of 60amps). Total hob amps is 52.

Can someone advise.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Two seperate individual multi-core cables? Or one cable with several live conductors?

Usually you can just connect both live cores to the live in the cooker outlet.

But tell us the name and model of the hob and possibly a link to the instructions, and we'll confirm.

De Dietrich 90cm Induction Hob with Continuum Zone Hob DTi749V.

I have yet to take delivery but have found out that there are two cables from a review on amazon. Hope this helps!

OK you have there a 10kw appliance. You are asking about the size of cable requried. One is to assume that you know the size of the protective device required, as you didnt ask. But you probably dont.

But BOTH the above are dependant on other factors. Insulation, cable routes, cable length, amongst others.

So there is no one correct answer (even if I could find a manual online). You are strongly advised to get an electrician to install this circuit.

It is also part fo the building regs now, thus notifiable to the local building control in England and Wales.

Sponsored Links
I've looked for the manual too so I could advise but failed. Some good info I found was here: http://theinductionsite.com/hob-makers/dedietrich-induction-hobs.shtml

Are you sure it comes with 2 cables? Totally different manufacturer but our Neff came with one big 5 core flex with the 2 live cores soldered together at the end (also the 2 neutrals soldered together). I assume if I'd ordered the 2 phase version the lives would not have been soldered together. Maybe yours is a similar setup but using 2 cables?

I'm running ours off a 10mm cable back to a 32A breaker because although each element claims between 2 to 3 KW it regulates itself to a total load of about 8KW (from memory). Even then there is an engineers menu setting if you press the right combination of buttons where you can de-rate it to however many percent of this 8KW.

But following what Steve has said, I agree and at least the cost of an electrician will be cheap compared to the price of the hob.

I can confirm that the larger DeDietrich induction hobs come with two cables.

One is a five core and one is a three core. On the five core, the two neutrals and the two lives are crimped together in ferrules. All the cores are 2.5mm.

Total maximum load on my unit is 10.8kW - I expect the DTI749V will be similar.

Yes, I installed a similar one last year. That required two circuits. One at rated 16A and a 30A . Yours is obviously a bigger beast!

You must provide the circuits to the manufacturer's specifications. A competent electrician can tell you what sized cable(s) will be required and also if your supply is capable of the additional load.

Its not something that can be guessed at on an Internet forum - there are too many factors that can affect cable choice.

Thanks guys.

I have spoken to my sparky who said without looking at it he thinks that the two sets of cables can be linked together and run off a single 10mm cable. Does this sound feasable or is there any logical reason why they should be seperated?

Thanks guys.

I have spoken to my sparky who said without looking at it he thinks that the two sets of cables can be linked together and run off a single 10mm cable. Does this sound feasable or is there any logical reason why they should be seperated?
Cant be sure without seeing the technical data. As above, one cable might need a 16 amp circuit, and one need a 30 amp circuit.

I have a gas hob that plugs into a 13 amp socket. ;) Dead easy and cooks food quick and easily. And better than any electric hob (no matter how powerful)

In my installation manual, it states two alternative connection methods:-

1) 5 core into a 32A circuit, 3 core into a 20A circuit
2) Both cables into a 63A circuit

That suggests that there is no need to provide two individual breakers if you don't want to.

I wouldn't swap my induction hob back to a gas one for all the tea in China. I love it. You can't just say a gas hob is 'better' - there are benefits to both.

Induction advantages:-
Massively more controllable than even the best gas hob
Safer and more efficient
Much easier to keep clean

Disadvantages:-
Need suitable cookware
Almost impossible to use a wok on
You can't flambee :)

Much easier to keep clean
Try saying that after some jam or marmalade boils up and spiils onto the glass surface.

The huge failure with induction and all other electric hobs is that woks cannot be used.

And you're limited to the choice of cookware, as well as shape.

And you can't (shouldn't) shake pans by sliding them.

More efficient?

The OP's hob is 12kW.

A typical 1m 5 burner gas hob is about the same to 25% more, although the "more" would be because of a large central wok burner, so maybe not a fair comparison.

But gas is about ⅓ the price of electricity, so are induction hobs over 3x as efficient as gas? If not, then more efficient they may be, but they cost more to run.

How many professional kitchens have induction hobs in them?

Now I've started it havent I :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Theres something lovely about cooking on a naked flame. Quite manly -

"I Tarzan, I make food for family on fire."

Not

"I Tarzan, I make food for family on powerful electromagnet."

And I flambee my eggs and bacon daily :LOL:

Back to business for a second. Has anyone heard of not putting a induction hob above a double oven?

I found this on one website:

Please note:
Induction hobs cannot be placed above built-under double ovens
All warranties must be registered with the manufacturer
Manufacturer's warranty will not apply outside GB
Delivery is available to GB mainland only

No such problem with gas hobs. :D

Why - they even make them ready assembled like that - they call them dual-fuel cookers. :mrgreen:

But TBF, they also make cookers with induction hobs, so I can only assume that the directive not to install above a built-in double oven is that there just isn't enough room, i.e. the hob will be too deep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back