New Install back to wall pan and wc back to wall unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have just had our new back to wall pan and back to wall wc unit fitted, although not finished yet.

Still needs to be screwed into the floor (I am correct in thinking this rather than just using silicon, its on a timber floor)

However at the back of the pan where it meets the wc unit there is around a 5mm gap. Should this be closed and what should I say to them to do this, or would they just fill the gap with silicon?

Sponsored Links
If it is a consistent gap then why not make it less than 5mm and have a small bead of silicon instead of a thick bead of it? That would be my question.

Its a consistent gap of 5mm I would say, at the bottom of the unit its quite flush

I'm sure the only way to reduce the gap is raising the front of the pan ever so slightly

So the floor and wall are out of square. In which case, "Excuse me sir, would you like a small gap filled at the back with a 3 mill gap on the floor? Or no gap on the floor and a bigger gap filled at the back?" The prob seems to be that the cabinet should have been squared to the floor.

Sponsored Links
Ok Thanks

But what do I need to say to get this problem resolved. The cabinet and cistern/piping is already in place.

Ok Thanks

But what do I need to say to get this problem resolved. The cabinet and cistern/piping is already in place.
I am not happy with a gap at the top, filled or not, I have paid good money to get this done properly, please can you alter the front angle of the cabinet to make every LOOK square. Then I will have no hesitation in recommending you to my friends.

A piece of tile trim might do the job, but it would not be necessary.
Back-to-wall means just that. Otherwise it would be called an almost-back-to-wall pan.

A colleague had a saying; "It fits where it touches".

Thanks so it should be touching the back with no gap? I gave spoken with the installer who has said that its all going to be sealed

A 5mm gap above a sheer vertical drop?
I hope he's got gravity-defying silicon.

with fitted furniture & a back to the wall pan there is always a gap between the pan to allow the panel to be slid into postion, there doesn't look anything wrong with that pic to me & i have fitted loads of these, so let the installer finish the job with sealant before moaning

Agree with CBF there is always a slight gap needed to slide the panel in, plus it is a rounded edge so it makes it look wider than it really is, will look fine once siliconed, stop worrying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back