New internal grained effect panel doors - painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just bought a few cheap doors, unfortunately to get the sizes I wanted I had to buy the grained affect type.

Having said that, they do look good and already have what appears as a non shinning coat of paint.

Other than there being no shine, do I assume that this is just a base coat and still need a coat of paint (gloss or satinwood) on top of that...or is it standard for them to be left like that?

It will eventually be let out to rent. The rest has new architrave and skirtings painted with primer, undercoat and gloss.

Many thanks

Johan

Sponsored Links
Usually undercoat and gloss. The new doors are only in a primer with raw edges. You can use oil based or water based paint.

Thank you both, very helpful.

As you say they are "raw" at the edges...although there is a "very slight" sheen!

I think the chances are that this is just a primer on them due to the price and that the paint on them does not quite get to the edges...so think that would be the raw bit you refer to!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
The edges are usually raw because when they are fitted invariably they would need planing to fit the opening. They then would be primed and coated up with extra coats of your chosen finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back