New kitchen build.

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Sylar, 2 Jan 2012.

1. Sylar

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well this will be a while before it gets started as we haven't bought anything yet, were still looking at suppliers.

But here's the design so far. It involves removing the wall (load bearing) between the current kitchen and dining room which will be the first task.

Spec includes underfloor electric heating, oak worktops, integrated units (and a dishwasher, yes!). Were considering a slim wine cooler too (to replace the 300mm cabinet under the breakfast bar.

So anyway here's what ive come up with, can anyone see any issues with layout etc...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RedHerring2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Forget the breakfast bar, with a table so close it'll get little use.
    I'd also reduce the full-height cupboards to just one.

3. Sylar

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The second full height is needed to hide the boiler. Don't fancy moving it, and if i did i would need somewhere else to put the fridge freezer.

I think the breakfast bar adds a massive design touch, but agree it may not get used all that much as an actual breakfast bar. We may lose the chair and it'll be just an extra worktop.

4. Mike10

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Only being able to half open that door would annoy me very quickly.

5. BigRobCanUFixIt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My backdoor opens towards the counter top and annoys me.... Of the door opens the other way then It should be ok.

6. Sylar

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It would annoy me too, luckily it opens outwards.

7. iaith

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think you've done well with the space you've got . If it were possible to move the back door, you could add a few units, but it's a lot of work for two units. I would have a drainer sink if you insist on oak worktops. I was going to have oak in my own kitchen but I opted for oak-look laminate. And I don't regret it.

8. LucyHF

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I really like the design, think you've thought very hard about the use of space. Hope it all goes well.

9. camerart

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The breakfast bar would annoy me too. Could the worktop follow through a short distance into the 'floor boarded' room instead?

10. Mrdjc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks good, but perhaps add a more "flowing" wall to the breakfast bar rather than the sharp corner?

11. Beval

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think it looks good. However to me it does not look that spacious :S I personaly prefer a big kitchen with a lot of space. However I do love the design and hope it goes well :D

12. Mikefromlondon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nice little kitchen bruv, but get rid of that ironing board you don't need it there ! (lol)

What about your extractor fan ducting ? or are you going to use charcoal filter for food smells and grease.

I would actually move the door by a few inches and you can have extra space for storage, moving a door isn't as big a job as it seems.

13. Zulley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    have a look on ebay for kitchen units, a lot cheaper then anywhere else. Type in 'kitchen units mfi' or similar, surprisingly its all mfi's old stock. If anyone finds a cheap place to get good quality doors please let me know.