New kitchen sink /tap/ hot water flow reduced, cold water

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by gardnt, 28 Mar 2006.

1. gardnt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just fitted a new sink and monobloc tap using supplied tails.

Since fitting, my wife has pointed out thet the hot water flow is much slower than previous tap and cold water is much fiercer.

Downstairs sink in loo ok for both. Only thing i was wondering is that the tails seem a smaller bore than the 15mm copper...would this reduce flow (hot water gravity fed from tank in airer) and increase pressure of cold?

I can get around cold noise and pressure by fitting a service valve?
    what about hot?

could i have an air lock even though other downstairs tap ok?

thanks, Tim

2. Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    [quote="gardnt" the hot water flow is much slower than previous tap and cold water is much fiercer.

. Only thing i was wondering is that the tails seem a smaller bore than the 15mm copper...would this reduce flow (hot water gravity fed from tank in airer) YES :cry: ...............and increase pressure of cold?.possibly

I can get around cold noise and pressure by fitting a PRESSURE REDUCING valve :idea:
    what about hot? ................ :oops: :oops: :?:

could i have an air lock even though other downstairs tap ok?.....possible...but unlikely

thanks, Tim[/quote]Cheap taps .... :?: My Bristan mixer cost me £100.00 trade.........but it works :D

3. JPC

JPC

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    its the tails on the taps. they reduce the flow right down and hence the hot water is reduced considerably. the cold wont have increased but is noisier due to rushing thru narrow tap parts.

what about a hot water pump ?

4. gardnt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    what about one? are they easy to fit? is it worth it just for kitchen?
    any advice appreciated. thanks.

5. jobloggs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If problem is with taps it would be cheaper to replace them, as Nige implies, with ones designed for gravity fed hotwater rather than pump the HW . A lot of imports are designed for sealed systems where the HW is at mains pressure. Sheds don't tell you this so better to Plumbers Merchant who should be able to advise.