New laminate worktops and plinths chipped after cutting - expected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a new kitchen and found some professional fitters to install it for me. I'm a bit dubious on the quality of the installation as I'm just an amateur DIY enthusiast and was wondering what other's thought about the cutting.

1) The laminate worktops where they've had to cut the side-ends off the laminate surface (to make space for a free standing appliance) has chipped away on the rounded front edge, about 10x10mm on the upper and lower part. They've put wood colour filler (which doesn't really hide it) and then sealed the end with a laminate strip. The back edge is also chipped but I don't mind because it can be hidden by the upstands. Is it reasonable to expect perfect cuts on my worktops?

2) The floor plinths are glossed white finishes but needed to be cut to match the raised tiles and underside of the cabinets. In a few parts of the plinths, the bottom edge has small chips about 1-2mm in from the edge. It is noticeable because of the white gloss finish on the plinths and polished porcelain tiles. Again, is it reasonable to expect this?

The finish is something I would expect if I did it myself but paying over £2k for fitting, I'm not so sure. Any thoughts appreciated.

They are small issues so not really worth buying new worktops/plinths. Also, if anyone has any DIY tips to conceal these chips, that would also be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Is it reasonable to expect perfect cuts on my worktops?
Yes it is.
A 10mm chip is not acceptable, and has been caused by either using the wrong tool to cut it, or the cutter was blunt, operator was careless etc.
What did they actually make the cut(s) with?

In a few parts of the plinths, the bottom edge has small chips about 1-2mm in from the edge.
They cut the bottom edge rather than the top?

Always cut laminate work tops into the bullnose upside down, sharp fine blade = perfect cut.

Plinths should of been cut at the top, but again if you use a circular saw, cut from the back.

Sponsored Links
the best you can hope for is theres enough spare to router or plunge saw a new edge
as said front to back upside down with a circular saw or top down with a plunge saw or router

you should expect a new router cutter to be used every second or third joint assuming most is removed by jigsaw before cutting or every 1 to 1.5 cuts/joins if not

What did they actually make the cut(s) with?

They cut the bottom edge rather than the top?

Don't know what they used as I thought I could let them get on with the job since I was paying them.

For the plinths, on closer inspection they did cut the top edge only. But it seems they didn't take enough care when handling or moving the plinths so the bottom edge has been chipped...

Going to tell them about these issues and see what they say.

no doubt there say 'there all ok and thats normal'.
it aint and as said theyve cut them the wrong way,
even when i cut by hand i dont chip anything because i take my time and am not a bull in a china shop.

Some photos for your amusement. I took almost 50 photos and made a list of 30 separate "issues" which I've put in writing to my fitter and expect to be fixed before I pay anything. I'll be talking to him when I get home tonight.

I only spotted the 20mm chip on the bottom edge when taking this photo!

Bottom of plinths have this scrapes/chips along the whole length - probably due to them sliding it in and out before tiles had gone down.

£2k and they used metal end caps? (or was that for the kitchen and fitting?) The worktop in particular looks awful - a real bodge job which I'd not expect from a proper tradesman. If I ever did that badly (not that I would), I think I'd have the decency to get another length of worktop, and a new router cutter, and do it again. I expect to get 3 or 4 joints out of a good quality cutter - but then I don't buy rubbish bits - and theat joints looks almost as though they didn't know which direction the router should be travelling in to make the entry cut. TBH the plinth was fitted wrong edge down - if they'd hidden the chipped bit at the top you'd have been none the wiser and the plinth wouldn't be at risk of "blowing", but as your plinth can now wick-up moisture from actions such as mopping the floor, it will need attention

I can cut worktops perfectly with a circular saw.

Those pictures are awful..!

You could cover chips in plinths with white silicone.

£2k and they used metal end caps? (or was that for the kitchen and fitting?) The worktop in particular looks awful - a real bodge job which I'd not expect from a proper tradesman. If I ever did that badly (not that I would), I think I'd have the decency to get another length of worktop, and a new router cutter, and do it again.

Kitchen and appliances was supplied separately at £3k. For the fitters, I actually paid (or will pay on satisfactory completion) £4k, for the fitting, gas, electrics & underfloor heating, plumbing, tiling, painting and new boiler, so yes, I felt a bit peeved for the finish quality.

Following my long list of issues, the owner of the fitting business came down to talk to me this evening. He's already fired the original fitter, apologised for the poor quality as it reflected badly on him and said if I could order the replacement parts (including some unit doors which I also noticed were damaged though they haven't admitted responsibility), he will not only re-imburse me the cost for all of it but come back with his other fitter and make good at his loss, just so I, the customer, am happy. :)

Having spoken at length with him and his other fitter that has had to pick up the job, the plinths were supplied with transparent sealing strips so in the end I'm happy for the damage to be covered up as it also protects from water damage. Additionally, they have no idea why the first fitter cut the worktop a) so badly, and b) on the side that doesn't even need to be cut!! The other side butts against the wall.:cautious:

They will finish what they can tomorrow and will return when the replacement parts come through.

Last edited:
I can cut worktops perfectly with a circular saw.

Those pictures are awful..!

You could cover chips in plinths with white silicone.

Our solution seems to be sealing strips, which actually look alright now a different fitter has popped them on. I thought about using white silicone but the plinths are high gloss finish so it would still be noticeable in bright sunlight/lighting.

JESUS FOOKING CHRIST.

WHAT A COWBOY,hes even tried to cover it with some colorfil.
oh my oh my.bet he cut this from the flat edge to the bullnose.
sorry to say this but.......
lets hope the guy who(i say this loosly)did the carpentry HASNT done anything gas/electrical by chance has he?
because if he has i would be SERIOUSLY WORRIED.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back