New life for old concrete path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the only problem with a path is that the surface has become rough through weathering , are there any ways to practically /economically rejuvenate the surface.

Does anyone have experience of for example abrading or putting a new thin cement surface on the cleaned top.

Thickness of new surface on top is limited as part goes next to the house and is only and inch or two below the DPC.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi you can put a 10mm+ screed over the old concrete.

a fine granite chippings mix works best in a 4-2-1 mix.

you will need to add pva to the mix and apply it to the existing path also to bond it.

this needs to be laid quite wet and a wood float finish will be fine.
if you wish you can make a nice pattern with a pointing iron to give it a crazy paving look.

this wont last for ever but will give you a safe level surface until it fails with frost over time.

hth

dont see the point in putting down somehing that will fail in the frost.

it may be that you have to accept that sometimes you just cant get a quick fix?

Perhasp grit blasting first would reduce the chance of frost damage later?

I have come across mentions of product; called Qikcrete and Ardex. . I guess they are versions of 'Lonner mix'

Sponsored Links
Perhasp grit blasting first would reduce the chance of frost damage later?

I have come across mentions of product; called Qikcrete and Ardex. . I guess they are versions of 'Lonner mix'

i used to do loads of this grano screed for peterborough city council as it was cheeper than replacing a garden path.

it will last a good few years if you bond it with pva.

if your going to blast it you might as well replace it as it will take just as long and probably cost about the same after hiring the equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back