New light fitting not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to the site and need a little advice please.

we have purchased a new light fitting for the bathroom, meets all regs and requirements.

However, my wife removed the old fitting and got herself a bit of a shock, light switched off at wall, not at circuit board!

I have now fitted the new fitting no lighty. we have a brown a blue and the earth wires. I have checked the switch and they are all connected. I have done some basic fault finding:

Swapped a known working bulb for the new bulb, new bulb works in a different light fitting, old bulb does not work.
Swapped the new light fitting for the old, still no lighty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
However, my wife removed the old fitting and got herself a bit of a shock, light switched off at wall, not at circuit board!

Best advice is to ask BEFORE starting any work.

There will be a permanently live wire in the ceiling that is live even when the switch is OFF. That was the wire that shocked your wife. She was lucky, it could have been far more serious. A fatal shock or a fall resulting in injury.

Look in the Wiki at the top of this section for Lighting Circuits.

TURN OFF THE MAIN SWITCH BEFORE STARTING TO DO ANY MORE WORK ON THE LIGHT

DO NOT USE A NEON SCREWDRIVER

Best advice is to ask BEFORE starting any work.

There will be a permanently live wire in the ceiling that is live even when the switch is OFF. That was the wire that shocked your wife. She was lucky, it could have been far more serious. A fatal shock or a fall resulting in injury.

Look in the Wiki at the top of this section for Lighting Circuits.

TURN OFF THE MAIN SWITCH BEFORE STARTING TO DO ANY MORE WORK ON THE LIGHT

DO NOT USE A NEON SCREWDRIVER

Yeah she thought she was helping!
I have isolated the upstairs lighting ring when working on it.

She was lucky but doesnt really comprehend that!

Sponsored Links
Are there some wires you have not connected, possibly got lost in the ceiling void?

As this is a bathroom, perhaps there is a separate RCD unit somewhere, that could have tripped.

If the bathroom switch was off, and she got a shock, I would have expected more wires than you describe.

Are you sure there is only one cable at the light ? ( cable = 1 red/brown, 1 black/blue and 1 earth )

Is there another cable ( possibly two ) that has dis-appeared above the ceiling ?

Are you sure there is only one cable at the light ? ( cable = 1 red/brown, 1 black/blue and 1 earth )

Is there another cable ( possibly two ) that has dis-appeared above the ceiling ?

yes there are two reds in a block and 2 black also in a block

at the circuit board i isolate the upstairs lighting therefore I do comprehend that

So you have a mixture of old and new colours. Where does the brown/blue cable go to?

Are you in a position to identify which cable goes to the switch? You may be able to trace it in the loft, if you have one.

Do you mean the brown/blue wires are connected to these red/black wires at the moment?

Does the brown/blue come out of the ceiling, or is it connected to the connector blocks?

the brown, blue and earth all run to the switch.
both the red and black are separate and are in blocks

It would appear but is NOT definate that :-

One of these will be the feed to the ceiling rose and the other one is the feed to the next room's ceiling rose. The reds are permanent live ( also known as the looped live ) the blacks are neutral ( also looped )

The cable you have would appear to be the cable to the switch. The brown in this cable connects to permanent live. The blue is the switched live back from the switch, it should have a brown sleeve on it to show itis a switched live.

The lamp blue goes to the neutrals ( blacks ) in the block, the lamp brown goes to the switched live, ( blue in the cable from the switch ) and the brown in the cable from the switch goes to the permanent live ( reds ) in the block.

Ensure ALL four earths are connected together.

It would appear but is NOT definate that :-

One of these will be the feed to the ceiling rose and the other one is the feed to the next room's ceiling rose. The reds are permanent live ( also known as the looped live ) the blacks are neutral ( also looped )

The cable you have would appear to be the cable to the switch. The red in this cable connects to permanent live. The black is the switched live back from the switch, it should have a red sleeve on it.

The lamp blue goes to the neutral in the block, the lamp brown goes to the switched live, ( black in the cable from the switch ) and the red in the cable from the switch goes to the permanent live reds in the block.

Ensure ALL four earths are connected together.

There is no black wire in the cable including the blue, brown and earth. two blacks are separate and looped - feed back to the switch (double switch) one for bedroom other for ensuite, 2 reds also looped

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back