New light fitting wont work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I have just replaced a light fitting and light switch with like for like and they wont work. Cunningly, I didnt mark the wires when I took the old fitting and switch off as i thought it was obvious, so here is what I have.

Ceiling fitting
1 Red
1 Black (with red tape)
2 Black
2 Green

Switch
1 Red
1 Black

Now I assumed that I put the Red and the live switched together, the two black together and, dont laugh, ignored the green as they are not long enough anyway.

In the switch I put the red in 'common' and the black in '1 way'.

I turned the power back on and..... nothing!! All the other lights are working fine.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Please dont just reply with 'call an electrician'. Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the switch meant to turn on just that one light?

Are these single wires, or are some in a twin and earth flat cable?

Are there any wires that you have not noticed which may be trapped between the fitting and the ceiling, or in the ceiling void? Turn off the power before you look.

The earths must be joined together, and must be connected to the earth terminal on the light if there is one. If the light is double insulated earth is not required. Check first. Should say on the light or the box or the instructions.

Have you another red tucked away in the ceiling?
Any means of testing for continuity and for live conductors? IE a two pole voltage indicator or multimeter

Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

OK, the switch just turns on the one light and it is the only switch that turns on this light.

They are all single wires

I am pretty sure there are no others trapped, although it is a bit tight to see, so without pulling a bit of the ceiling down I cant be sure.

I cant see anything on the box, fitting or instructions about it being double insulated.

I dont have any means of testing for continuity and even if I did wouldnt know how to do it :(

Cheers

Sponsored Links
On first impressions it would seem there are wires missing, but you say single wires as opposed to cables containing two or more wires?

Can you send photos so we can be sure exactly what you have?

I will take photos tomorrow, put it all away now and its a bit to dark for me to be playing around in there.

Thanks for your responses this far.

I am pretty sure it is singles, but now you all have me thinking I am a bit mental, so I am going to look again tomorrow in the daylight and get some photos.

Thanks

Can I just make a rather silly and pathetic suggestion? It happened to me last week when I fitted a new light fitting which didn't work at first....

...have you checked the bulb actually works?

It doesn't sound to me like there are any wires missing. This could just be the last fitting on the cable.

Put the two reds into a terminal block. Put the black wire into the neutral terminal on the light fitting. Put the black with red tape into the live terminal on the light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back