New Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just had a loft completed by landmark-lofts and the building inspector who was demanding final payment before having performed a final inspection, highlighted that a wooden beam was resting on a party wall that was into the neighbours chimney. So my questions are as follows:

1. Can a wooden beam rest directly onto a party wall that connects into a neighbours chimney stack.

2. Does the wooden beam need to rest on a steel shoe?

As you can see from the picture, they did an awful job and failed to brick up around the steel beam which will be done however I have concerns as to whether this can simply be bricked up.

//www.diynot.com/network/careype/albums/5410

Regards,
Peter

Sponsored Links
Easy.

Final payment AFTER loft has been past by inspector.

What are they worried about?.....................it not passing?

Andy

Hi
Well it's 3 months since it should have been completed. As the builder was cutting corners in order to line his pockets, I'm now more concerned with whether it's acceptable to have a wooden joist resting on a party wall that opens up into the neighbours chimney stack. They have sent another Team to brick up around this beam and the steal beams but I want to hear from anyone who knows the correct building regs regarding this point.

Peter

Sponsored Links
No it is not acceptable. Structural timber must be kept a minimum of 40mm from any part of a chimney stack.

We've had a few problems with our loft conversion by landmark lofts also. They completed it a few months back but left our home damaged badly. We had to call in another company as landmark just ignored us. We ended up spending another £8,400 on the repairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back