new mains supply - how to enter building?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the rising main. I've got the MDPE up the drive to the outside wall, but how do I get indoors? It is a solid floor. I was going to come up the outside and then go in at floor level but someone said that I will disrupt the DPC and I will have a frozen pipe in winter. Do I really have to dig a two foot hole through my foundations? It sounds crazy

Sponsored Links
Afraid you have to bring it up indoors, through insulated ducting.

You can not run a water mains any other way than below the minimum depth below the surface until it is inside the walls; it is simply illegal to do anything else.
I am afraid the regulations do not care if that is inconvenient.

Someone and cant for the life of me remember who but manufacturers an insulated duct box to allow the entery of water mains from outside through the wall and in with out going through foundations and its WRAS approved.

I'll try and find it but someone else who is appoved for their local WB might know what i mean.

After a quick search RDT Chamber solutions make a external water meter box and insulated duct.

Lee

Sponsored Links
Not much help but a similar situation.

I had a short run to do from boundary to internal stop cock. Got a quote from Southern Water. I said I would do it myself, Southern Water then told me that they would inspect it and make sure I had got into the house correctly, as this was a solid concrete floor like yours. It was going to involve digging a hole both inside and outside and through the foundations/cavity etc. Sleaved and at the right depth. What a palaver. Decided it was not going to be worth it. Southern Water did the job and to my great surprise out came a large hammer drill with what looked like a 6ft drill bit (exaggerated :D ). All they did was drill from the inside at a slight angle, through the floor down through the cavity and came out the other side just above the 'footings'. Didn't sleave it or anything. Poked the plastic pipe through, took all of 20 minutes. There are rules for us and then there are rules for them that can be ignored. :D

someone has said it is illegal so not sure if it is a newish reg, but years ago on renovations we used to bring the plastic water main in through the wall above ground inside 110mm pvc pipe inside 100mm lagging, done hundreds and cannot honestly remember much problems occurring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back