new P shaped bath no holes for taps is this usual?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
just about to fit new bathroom suite with the P shaped bath and curved shower screen but there are no holes for the taps is this usual?
any thing i should consider before i dill my own holes
thanx
anyone know the correct height of the bath so the side panel fits properly

Sponsored Links
Not unusual to drill own tap holes!!
(Hope its not a cast iron bath though)

Measure bath panel and set bath height to suit!

Usual mate on a lot of bath's gives you the opportunity to put them in a number of places, whichever suits, plus some taps have things like retratable shower heads or fancy stuff which would differ from the bog standard taps, so they let you do it yourself.

Not hard with a decent hole saw (not the £6 b and q jobby!)

Just mark them up, maybe drill a pilot hole first and drill steady!

As for bath panels, they vary from bath to bath so you need to measure up your panel before fitting the bath!

HTH Sam

thanks whats a good hole saw and what size would you use, the taps are standard bath taps no shower head and its a plastic bath
do you still frame these with timber after its all fitted correctly?

Sponsored Links
Just think, ya could have taps @ both ends & in the middle ....... so ya could never be far away from a hot topp up :eek:

Dino - leave all the protective wrapping on the tub where possible when working on it, also spead an old blanket/towel in the bottom of the bath. Reason; if you drop something it'll damage/chip the surface of the tub - often the hole saw can work loose from the drill chuck and drop into the bath (hardened steel cutter V plastic bath, no contest). Another tip, stick down some strips of masking tape where the taps are going, do your marking-out on this (it's paper after all), drill through with small pilot drill (the tape helps the drill from skidding on the plastic) and them watch-out for sharp edges of fibreglass where cleaning out the holes.

This is an excellent opportunity for you to fit the taps the way they do in Europe - on the wall. It is much easier when you think about it, and easier to grout and mastic all around the bath. I was flummoxed by this the first time I did it, but it is better. You fit the pair of pipes or backplate elbows at the right centres, and then screw in a pair of offset nipples. These can be adjusted after tiling to give the exact spacing and alignment for the taps. It is much like fitting a wall mounted shower, in fact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back