New plaster coming away - advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi – looking for some professional opinions on this.

· Entire bedroom plastered approx one month ago.
· Mist coat applied last weekend (approx 50/50 Crown Matt emulsion to water, well mixed – pictured)
· After first coat chunks of plaster (2-3mm thick) started coming away from one wall (see pics)
· No damp was visible throughout the room at any point (before or after - and roof space has since been inspected for damp).
· The problem has only occurred on the exterior wall (but I’m monitoring the rest)

Had a builder round last night for an unrelated job, he has some experience of plastering and suggested that PVA was not used (he suggested that this was visible from the exposed plaster).

Plasterer has agreed to come back to resolve this week.... Thoughts (extremely) welcome.

Sponsored Links
That plaster skim has no bond at all to the wall. As your builder says, the "plasterer" has not used a bonding agent/pva. We see this a lot on here. You might as well take all the plaster off of that wall. Are the other walls ok? Are they solid/brick, block walls, or are they plasterboard? Gently rub the back of your hands/fingernails all over the other walls, and you'll soon hear if the plaster sounds hollow, if it does, take it all off too. It's no good patching up bits here and thete, take it all off. I would not trust this so called plasterer to do your job again. Skimming is the easiest form of plastering you can get, and if he can't skim a wall without it falling off, he can't be trusted again. Get a "real plasterer" in next time. I'd ask for my money back too!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back